August 15, 2013

Busy Hands, Happy Heart...

 When I packed a few projects for this trip, I added this crewel kit that I'd purchased a
while ago when I met Shell May (of Raspberry Rabbits fame) in Williamsburg.
It's just a small piece when stitched, but it's perfect to work on while traveling.
 I don't want to make a mistake with the kit name (like I did with my last
project), so I'm showing you a photograph of the cover sheet. It's "Newbury
Small" by Tristan Brooks Designs. It's a beautiful, little Jacobean wool piece.
I hooped the fabrics (linen with a muslin backer) into my treasured, antique
hoop which once belonged to my mother-in-law, Evelyn. I was stitching in
no time at all. I actually made more progress before I quit for the day, but I
wanted to be able to show you some of the work I'd done on it before I lost
the good natural light that we bloggers crave when photographing for our posts.

Today, I'll be spending the day with my aunt and one of my "sisters by choice".
Tag will be with me while Handsome does a little instrument shopping. I'll also
see one of my beautiful nieces and her son for dinner, which will be the perfect
end to a fine day. I'm going to take this kit along to work on because it lends
itself well to tea, time with friends and loved ones and can be stitched without
much intense concentration or effort. I haven't done crewel embroidery in years,
but it reminds me of many hours spent with Mom Grace (who I'll see soon).

Happy times with happy pursuits and loved ones.
I'm very blessed.
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. Oh,this little piece is so pretty! Love hearing what a wonderful time you're having! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. You find the most exquisite projects to work on. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So love seeing your stitchery, Donna.
    WHEN WERE YOU IN WILLIAMSBURG? Shoot!
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small portable projects are such a delight. This is lovely and you will have it completed in no time. Enjoy your visiting and catching up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving hearing about your holiday and seeing the projects you are working on coming to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty little project. I have not done crewel work in years either but seeing your kit makes me think it would be fun to try again. I have enjoyed reading about your wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely! I tried teaching myself Crewel Embroidery once but I didn't get the hang of it right quick. I'm sure I'll try it again one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking at that line of Crewel projects. I haven't bought any yet. They do look like fun though. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna