December 7, 2016

Hello Again...

Brynwood Needleworks - Horicon Marsh
 
When I crossed the Horicon Marsh, I knew I was getting closer. It was already 10:00 in the morning, and I'd left Champaign, Illinois around 6 am. By the navigation system's calculations, I knew I'd be back at the farm by noon if all went according to plan.
The sky was dark and overcast, but streaks of sunlight danced off the open water of the marsh. Shortly after I'd stopped to take this picture, I moved further to the east and found scores of geese bunched together as they floated on the water. There were cars behind me by then, so I couldn't stop to get another picture. Perhaps next time I'm in the area. 
I kept driving, knowing it was less than an hour to the farm. Tag and Bella slept in the back seat, the heater in the truck (and their fur coats) keeping them warm. We traveled through Brownsville and got onto Highway 41 (now designated as an Interstate). A few miles up the road, we again turned eastward. We wound our way over to the county trunk that would bring me close to our turn, and I started to anticipate pulling onto Hickory Road.
 
Brynwood Needleworks - Hickory Hill Farm
 
I stopped twice on our approach to take more pictures. Hello again, Hickory Hill. Hello again, Farmhouse. We're back.
For a few moments, I forgot the cold. I forgot the long drive. I forgot about the truck I'd have to unpack. We came up our drive and I turned off the truck's engine. I let the dogs out and they, too, remembered. They ran joyful laps around the house and the outbuildings. I stood and laughed. We were back.
I carried the boxes I could manage alone, and our younger son arrived soon enough to help me with the rest. After we visited, I set up my bedroom, fed the dogs and then headed to my aunt and uncle's for dinner. When I returned, the porch lights shone like beacons in the dark. Last night was the first night I slept in the farmhouse. Sweet rest, indeed.

DonnaAcornSignature

7 comments:

  1. You have written this post straight from your grateful heart and I can feel how wonderful it is for you to be home in Hickory Hill Farm. Blessings and Bliss Dear. Please do take care and baby your knee...no cartwheels around the farm I think. So Happy for You!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful feeling to know and feel blessed to be home again. So pleased for you! Early Christmas wishes to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello dear, welcome back to your new home.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna