August 4, 2026

Baking For Barter...

Shelly and Andy gave us some beautiful eating cucumbers and a watermelon they grew next door, so I wanted to reciprocate to say thank you. For me, that means baking. I've made the same arrangement with my friends, Dawn and Pete.

I wanted to try adding a new ingredient to my cinnamon rolls, and then make caramel pecan rolls to add a new variety to my repertoire.

I made a sixteen rolls, sending half to Shelly and Andy and their grandsons who are visiting. The rest stayed her. (I have to test them, after all!) Sorry, I didn't stop for pictures until the big tray went next door.  

Handsome tried the pecan rolls, and allowed as how I could make them any time. Later I got a message from Shelly that they loved the new ones, too. That means now I can offer cinnamon rolls, caramel pecan rolls and/or farmhouse bread and hamburger buns to barter for fresh produce for eating and canning.. I feel really great about that.

I'm back to work today, but I wanted to tell you my schedule is changing. Beginning August 17th, I'll be working Mondays from 6 am until 10 am; Tuesdays from 6 am to 10 am (instead of  6 am until 4 pm or my previous 10 am to 4 pm); and then my regular Friday evenings from 4 pm until 6:30 or 7 pm. 

I'll have this schedule (by choice) until I have my knee surgery in October. I'll definitely need to get to bed early on the nights before my new work days! I'm looking forward to it, too!

I'd better get crackin' now, though. I still have two six-hour Tuesdays before I start the new schedule. I don't want to be late, so I'll see you tomorrow!

 

8 comments:

  1. Oooo, those rolls look yummy!
    I hope your new schedule works out well.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn-
      Handsome has already put in another order for the pecan rolls. Oh, boy! lol
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. mmmm - not a calorie to them is there!!
    The thought of having to be at work for 6 am - to me, that's dark thirty!! Of course, having said that, I was awake and knitting shortly after 6 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA-
      Usually 6 am is when I get up to go potty. Then straight back to bed. It's going to be an adventure changing my schedule. lol I do like that I'll have a whole day ahead of me at the end of those shifts, though. Even if only for a month. Then I'll be concentrating on rehab and healing.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. I'm chuckling to myself thinking swapping their beautiful healthy veggies for your delicious decadent baked goods seems like a really good deal... for them. πŸ˜‰ That's my sweet tooth talking. That's such a lovely barter for everyone! I hope the shorter hours are a real blessing to you and Handsome! ...I just noticed that the caption on Sunday's Scripture picture has Romantic, instead of Romans, which I'm sure is an autocorrect thing πŸ™„, but I had to chuckle about that, too because sometimes it feels like a "romantic" thought... to be able to live at peace with all people. Sigh. But, I'll keep trying and praying for the ability to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois-
      I'm glad I have something with which to trade. Their veggies contribute to meals over the winter, and my baked goods, bearing made with higher quality ingredients can be a healthier alternative to running to the store (even if the sweet treats require a measure of moderation). I'd weigh 300 pounds if I made and ate them all the time! Thanks for catching the autocorrect error, too. I really should turn off that feature. Especially in this case. I went back and corrected it - with an explanation. Thanks again.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. You are the Queen of this barter situation. Win/Win for everybody.
    I'm an early bird, so the 6 a.m. sounds great for me, by the time you get back
    home and take a break and catch your breath, you have the rest of the day ahead of you.
    All of this with one 'bad' knee, can't imagine what your schedule will be like with two good knees.
    πŸƒ‍♀️πŸƒ‍♂️πŸ‘Ÿ
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley-
      That's how I feel! It's a great deal when everyone feels like they got the better end of the deal, too. I'm actually a night owl, so this new schedule will be interesting. Of course, it's only going to be for less than two months, leading up to my surgery date. I'll reassess while I heal about whether or not I'll be returning or retire "for real". I'm really undecided at this point. I'm thinking it might be more fun to put both knees to work here at home. Then again, I do love most of my customers and coworkers. See my dilemma? I've got time to decide. I'll just leave it there for now.
      Hugs,
      xo
      Donna

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna