July 11, 2011

I've Been Reading...

You may wonder why you haven't seen many projects from me lately. I have a perfectly great reason! I've been reading this summer. I've been an avid reader since I was a kid, so it's not unusual for me to be found with my nose in a good book.
You already knew that I'd tackled the latest five Stephen Donaldson books (I read those in less than two weeks! His available books are available through BAM here. Be sure to read my book review so you know in which order you need to read them.)

After Fezzik died, my friend Twyla sent me a copy of Heaven Is For Real . I wrote a book review for you here, and highly recommend this book. It's a wonderful and uplifting story.
I was hungry for more reading so I decided to download a few books onto my iPad and have been enjoying my choices ever since.
(Just so you know, every book title is a link to Books A Million's website in case you want to order your own copy. I am in no way compensated by Amazon or anyone else for the links. The Stephen Donaldson and Heaven Is For Real links are to my blog posts about them.)
I decided to start with a classic, Alice in Wonderland. I hadn't read it since I was a kid and thoroughly enjoyed Lewis Carroll's delightful book, written for his special Alice.

When I'd finished this book, I rented the Johnny Depp version of the story. (I'm a huge Johnny Depp fan, in case you didn't already know.) It was especially fun to watch the movie, having just completed the original story.
After that, I tackled The Call of The Wild by Jack London. Another favorite from my childhood, I was surprised at how much of this story I'd forgotten! I read through this one in no time at all and was glad that I'd added it to my summer reading list.
Have you read Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls yet? I can highly recommend it. Written by her granddaughter, this is the inspiring and entertaining story of a true pioneer, Lily Casey Smith. Although Jeanette could substantiate every story her mother told her about her grandmother, she wrote it in the first person and hence called it a "true-life novel". I loved every minute of reading about this amazing and enterprising woman.
Next on the list was Tourist Season by Florida author Carl Hiassen. The guy writes the darkest stories with the funniest lines. I've read over a dozen of his books and each is better than the last. Don't look for "The Governor" in this one. He doesn't make an appearance in this story. Written by a man who loves Old Florida and all it's natural life, Hiassen can weave some of the most intriguing story lines, and will help you appreciate Florida at the same time.

If you want a laugh or ten, you can always count on Hiassen, and his books are perfect for a quick read during a trip. I have all the books in our guest room. If any of our visitors want to read a book they can finish while they're here, all they have to do it grab one, and head out to the Holidome with their favorite beverage.
My latest read is Silver Girl by Elin Hilderbrand. Set on Nantucket Island, it's a story about a woman named Meredith. Shes desperately trying to survive the shame of being married to a man who conceived a ponzi scheme to bilk all their wealthy friends out of billions of dollars. In the process, she rekindles a trusting friendship with her longest, dearest girlfriend, Connie...and Connie's brother, Toby - Meredith's first love. I just love a good love story.
Next on my list is Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. My friend, Amy loaned this book to me last year but I couldn't read it because I was due for a new pair of glasses. Now that I can see clearly, I'm going to make this my next book. (I haven't stolen your book, Amy. Really! I'll get it back to you as soon as I turn the last page.)

I hope you decide to pick up and read one or more of my "suggested reading" books this summer. I'd love to know what you're reading. Any other book suggestions for me?
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Donna,

    Have you read The Glass Castle? It's written by the same author and is equally as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, I am an avid reader too! I am so glad you have been able to read some books this summer! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved to read, but let many other things during my day to push that till last. It takes me awhile to read a book. I admire your speed! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your love for reading is admirable. I am a slow reader but still enjoy a good book.
    I am trying to catch up after being gone.
    Congratulations on your new little Taggart. He is adorable and I shall follow his antics.
    Happy puppy love to you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw something about Silver Girl. Can't recall where. I want to read that one. Like you, I was the kid with their nose stuck in a book!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna,

    So excited to see a new Hiaasen book, I LOVE him,,,he is hysterical, but also, generally environmentally thought provoking, I'll have to check my Kindle for it!

    As for "The Tale of Edgar Sawtelle," it indeed is a great book, but as an animal lover and as kind hearted as you are, it may make you a bit angry,,,at least frustrated or sad!

    I couldn't get through Alice in Wonderland.....But I am in the process of reading Le Miserables.....What an Epic, but I'm really enjoying it!

    Happy Reading,,,this coming from a gal that reads about 20 books a month....

    I'd HIGHLY recommend Anything by Barbara Allan, light reads-mysteries with a Junker/Antiquer twist! Too fun!

    And DO NOT miss "Unbroken: A World War II story of survival, resilience and redemption......
    by Laura Hillenbrand
    (She wrote Sea Bisquit as well)
    Not a genre I'm generally drawn to, but I wouldn't want to miss this for Anything in the world!

    And,One more,,,because I could go for hours about books,,,,,Have you read "The Art of Racing in the Rain" yet? The Animal lover that you are, will LOVE this book! The Twist? The narrative is by the DOG!
    Written by Garth Stein and one of my all time FAV books,,,,on the NY Seller list for like 3 years!

    Okay,,,,,let's talk books again soon!

    Hugs and Love,
    Shell

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not familiar with Donaldson, will have to ask for him at the library; thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. going back to the classics, (which is all i can afford right now as i already own them), to kill a mockingbird is one i read at least once every two years. yes the movie was excellent, but because of time constraints they had to leave so much out. if you've only seen the movie you owe it to yourself to read the book. i find it interesting that with the book bans and things at public schools, and to kill a mockingbird has certainly been on many a list, that right before my husband was laid off from his job a couple of years back a friend from work and his wife named their new little girl scout. then more recently my husband, who adores infants, has been working in the church nursery and one of the couples named their new little girl harper. i guess you can ban them, but they are still available in the library and still after all these years being read. these baby girls could have been our granddaughters. so another generation sees the excellence in a book and reads it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lot's of fun! I still have the list you sent me and I'm planning to take one on my trip next week. I can't wait!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna