May 11, 2009

Everything Old Is New Again...

Who would have thought I'd be excited about an iron? So often, it brings to mind the image of a woman wearing a bandana on her head, toiling over white shirts, and leaves feministas to cringe at the thought of one of their own degrading themselves with such menial tasks. Well, I'm a seamstress and, gosh darnit, one thing we require is a really great iron!

When I was working with the beautiful cotton batiste for the recent christening gown project, I constantly fought the steam holes on my Rowenta. Even when I shut off the steam feature and drained out the water, it would manage to sputter unexpectedly on my perfect white fabric, inciting a barrage of expletives deleted, followed by a work stoppage to rinse away the offending tiny stain.

After joining a conversation about the best technique to attach a collar to a collar stand (don't ask) one of the gals suggested a book entitled Shirtmaking by David Page Coffin. I'm always willing to learn something new or improve my techniques - and I love books! - so I ordered this one, and man, am I glad I did. There were myriad things I didn't even know I didn't know!

The author suggests many tools and gadgets to help create those perfect shirts and the one tool he said everyone needs to own is a dry iron. No tiny steam holds on the sole plate, no sputtering, no fancy bells and whistles, no stains. Just dry heat for carefree pressing.

So, I googled "dry iron" and found that one of my favorite online sources, Vermont Country Store, carries them...and only $29.95! Less than half the price of a good steam iron! So, I ordered one right away, and it arrived today. I'm the proud owner of a brand-spanking, new Continental Platinum Dry Iron.

Life is good. This homemaker is tickled pink to have a new iron! I wonder whats next...perhaps I should get a new washboard?

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, nice iron! A dry iron is also handy for applying that wood-veneer "tape" to the edge of a plywood project, to cover the tell-tale ply-layers and make it look more like real wood. Y'know, should you ever want to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah, and it's also really good for 'embossing' rayon velvet with rubber stamps. Probably slightly more likely than the wood veneer thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! Now I have the right tool for multiple jobs. Yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not only a new washboard in the future but probably a new mangle wouldn't go stray either. Enjoy your new toy.

    Minimiss

    ReplyDelete
  5. And while you are going "there", I can teach you to make your own yarn on your new spinning wheel! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna