It's ridiculously hot here this week. The air conditioner at work lost ground by the hour because we were so busy. Each time the doors opened I could feel the mercury rise. We had it set at 73°, and after my seven hours it was 87° indoors.
My short hair was so curly that I looked like a gym teacher from my grade school days. I couldn't wait to get home and shed my jeans and polyester shirt. Truthfully, I was out of ambition by the time we walked into the farmhouse.
We haven't installed any window a/c units yet. I'm holding off because they're such a chore to install, and once they're in and the weather turns, I won't be able to open the window because it won't have a screen on it.
So, we're trying to ride this out. Windows open at night when the breezes are cooler, and then close up during the day with our ceiling fans on. As long as I don't have to put jeans on, I'll be okay.
I did go outside just before dark to put out a bowl of cold water for the critters. I placed some blocks in the bottom so small animals could safely exit the bowl. I also refilled the birdbath for another spot for birds or beasts.
I'm heading out today to see my sister, Di and her daughter, who is recuperating from surgery. (They have a/c, too. BONUS!) I'm looking forward to seeing them.
Gotta run now. See you later. Oh, and Happy July!!


Oh, I feel for you.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is August weather early!
Marilyn
Hi Marilyn-
DeleteDid you get the heavy rains and golf ball sized hail yesterday? (We did!!) I'm glad we were all safe in the farmhouse.
Hugs,
xo
Donna
We got heavy rain & more last night.
DeleteNo hail though.
Marilyn
I don't know what we'd do without our ceiling fans in our bedroom and my sewing room. We have a portable a/c unit in the living room to try to keep the Resident Chef cool (he feels the heat far more than I do) and then we place tower fans strategically to draw the cooler air down the hall and from there into my sewing room. After supper we change the orientation of the fans and aim the air down the hall in hopes that it will end up in the bedroom. At night we rely on the ceiling fan and another tower fan that's sitting atop my dresser to circulate the air. It seems to work. We also keep all the curtains closed throughout the day. If we had windows on both sides of our apartment I'd love to get the cross breeze but sadly we only have them on the east side. We are thankful we didn't decide to get an apt. on the west side because then the afternoon sun would be a killer. Try to stay cool my friend!
ReplyDeleteHi MA-
DeleteYou're right, dear. A west side dwelling would be worse without the cross breeze. We installed the floor unit today, which was blessed relief. Then, shortly before bedtime, we got a wind shift that brought cooler air. We opened upstairs windows for a comfortable sleep. Maybe this heat is on the way out for a while. Hope you'll cool off, too.
Hugs,
xo
Donna
I have several birdbaths out, some high, some low, something for everybody. I check them and add
ReplyDeletecold water twice a day. We are in the 100's until Monday. This too shall pass.
Shirley
Hi Shirley-
DeleteI put out water, too. I would have added cold water again in the afternoon but we got a serious rainfall at noon that filled the birdbath and bowl with fresh water and hail! I'm hoping it passes before dork Friday night. Fingers crossed!
xo
Donna