July 16, 2026

Home All Day...


No appointments today, so I'll be doing things here at home. I'll start by checking the bird feeders and cleaning the birdbaths so they have cool, fresh water. Next is to put in a load of laundry, and then im going to sit down to my needlework frame. 

It's hazy and smoky here from the Canadian fires, so even though it's a bit cooler, having the windows open isn't wise. I'm praying for safety for the wildlife and people to our north.

Our lawn is filled with wildflowers - Queen Anne's lace, chickory, clover, wild oregano, wood sorrel, bird's foot trefoil, and a few others - taking over our yard these days. They thrive (because of their deep roots) when grass browns due to lack of rain. When it doesn't rain, we don't mow because it just browns and stresses the grass. Between you and me, I love the riot of wildflowers taking over. I think wildlife does, too.

So for now, I'm the wild child walking barefoot through our yard, enjoying how Mother Nature takes over when we allow her time and space. I'll definitely be spending some time enjoying the display today.

8 comments:

  1. Smoke isn't as bad today as it was yesterday. And local weather said it would be worse today, go
    figure. It is a bit cooler and less humid.
    I can't walk barefoot in my yard, way too many turkeys = 🦃💩.
    End of another week closing in on us.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley-
      And again, you cracked me up. lol I especially loved the emojis. I had a Turkey at the bird feeders today. Guess I'd better not refill the feeders barefoot tomorrow! We seem to get worse smoke in the evenings...and it diesnt smell like wood smoke. It smells like garbage burning. I've been coughing since Handsome opened the windows tonight. 🤦🏼‍♀️ Like you (and all of Canada, Minnesota, and the other affected states), I'll be glad when this passes. I guess we're waiting for a southerly wind for relief.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  2. The smoke and smell finally hit us in a terrible way today in PA. I so agree with the sentiment and picture today. I love quiet days at home, but they've been few and far between lately 🫤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois-
      As I told Shirley, it smells like garbage burning to me. It's so sad for all concerned. Home is my favorite place...always. You're invited to tea anytime. ❤️
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  3. aaaah - an at home day - my idea of perfection! Yesterday was totally surreal here - the sky was orange. It's laughable how some people in the US are blaming Canadians for the smoky conditions - as if we can draw a curtain and stop it. Maybe instead of the wall between Mexico and the US, they should get to work making that curtain (and yes, I'm kidding!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ma-
      It's not only Canada that's burning, either. There are hundreds of acres on fire right next door in Minnesota. At least we haven't had the orange skies. It doesn't smell like wood smoke. It smells like garbage smoke. I'm so sorry for all you're going through. It's much worse than us navigating smoke. Praying you're safe where you are.
      Hugs,
      Xo
      Donna

      Delete
    2. We're okay here Donna so don't worry. There are fires north of here but where we are there are no hugely forested areas. Grass fires are the problem in our area but so far we've only had one that I know of.

      Delete
  4. I love all of the wildflowers.
    Queen Anne's Lace is my favorite.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna