November 21, 2011

Tuesdays With Tag - Off To Boot Camp...

Taggart and I have been having some important conversations lately.
(I took all these pictures yesterday so you could see what a good-looking boy he's turning into.)
He's already seven and a half months old. Handsome and I have been working on his training, but he can be obstinate and I'm not as consistent as I should be. It's really important to me that he learns his lessons, and I admit his stubbornness has been a little frustrating.

Handsome and I had a long talk about this and, after much deliberation, we agreed that Tag is the most strong-willed dog we've ever owned. Handsome could certainly do all the training, but when finished, Taggart would be more his dog than mine, and that wasn't the plan.

We decided it would be best for Tag to learn from a professional. We want him to learn everything he needs to know without diminishing his unique Corgi personality.
So, this week Taggart is going to train with a man with whom Handsome and I have worked for over thirty years. He is also the son of a trainer we always referred to as "The Maestro".

Ray Sommers had a way with dogs of all breeds, and he trained Handsome's father's first retriever.  His son, Mike shared his passion for dogs, and with Ray, they taught us much of what we know about working with our own. They were the original "Dog Whisperers" in Wisconsin.
Michael learned through hard work at his father's side, and he later built his own training business on his personal considerable talent. Sadly, Ray passed away a number of years ago - and he is missed by all who knew and loved him, including Handsome and me.
We're so fortunate that Mike and his wife, Joann chose to relocate to Florida before we came here. Taggart will be moving over to their facility tomorrow, where he will remain for the next seven weeks. Mike will teach him the finer points of citizenship, and then follow up with training to retrieve.

We've decided that Taggart should learn to retrieve because it's some of the best exercise available for a dog, and it will be a great way for Tag to burn off excess energy and stay in shape.
I've been telling Tag about this since I made the arrangements. He's not quite sure what to make of this program, but I know that once he gets into his "school mode", he's going to fall in love with the regimen.

I'm going to miss my little guy, but will see him about three times during "Boot Camp". I'll be taking lots of photos on my visits, so you can follow his progress, too. He'll be practically grown up when he comes back home!

One other thing we discussed is the fact that I haven't let him write his own posts like Fezzik used to. I've promised him that once he finishes his training, I'll let him start sharing in his own voice for Tuesdays With Tag. He can hardly wait!

So, 'til next time...
"More Wagging and Less Barking!"





Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm going to miss Tag! He will be so grown up when he comes home, but he will be a fine young man. I will look forward to hearing of his progress. Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a hard decission to part with Tag for so long even though training is very important i can be very grateful that both our corgis came to us as adult dog needed new home and were well trained. look forward to progress reports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna, how can you bear to be without Tag for so long. Give him a big hug from me and tell him to learn his lessons well so we can see him safely back home very soon Blessings from the UK luv Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that last picture shows Tag's essence. I have never seen a more mischievous look!

    Happy Thanksgiving
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be dark tuesdays for a while. Give Tag a pat from the midwest and we'll see him soon.

    By the way, the captions on the pictures should read:(top to bottom)
    1. What are you talking about...leave home?
    2. Let her remble...
    3. I could live over there; they'd let me do...
    4. But over there they have...
    5. Are you still rambling?
    6. Okay, I'll go BUT not willingly!

    Have a great Thanksgiving...I'm leaving my wonderful pillow out for Thanksgiving too. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difficult, but loving decision. I know you (and all of us) will miss Tag so very much. In the grand scheme, seven weeks is not very long for a lifetime of happy routines and obedience. Hug him good-bye for all of us, and we will send lots of hugs to you for strength.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 7 weeks is a long time to be without Tag, but I am sure he will come back with such wonderful knowledge and behavior! Hugs to both you and Tag! Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a difficult decision for you and Handsome to have to make. Tag will be a big brave boy and graduate Boot Camp with boundless energy. Thankfully you can visit him and take photos. Donna I can picture you in your studio making lots of beautiful things while Tag is at charm school. Happy Thanksgiving Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at that beautiful intelligent little face.
    I know you will miss each other, but it will be good for Tag to have that extra training.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What delightful photos. That last one certainly looks as though he's not sure what he's in for. I wish all dog owners were as conscientious as you when it comes to making sure their canine family members are well behaved and well adjusted. I'm sure he'll love boot camp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Donna.....I'm sure you will miss Tag while he's at boarding school. But he'll come back with his education behind him ready for the next phase of his life. Yes....please bring us lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tag will get over his "ornery-ness" soon enough and come back to you a "new man." It will be a bit lonely without him, I'm sure; but maybe the time will go fast in between visits. :-)
    Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving! ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. my chesed was like that, just plain stubborn. she always had to have her own way. in his pictures he doesn't look like he is to keen on this idea of yours. but who wants to be more obedient when they can get their own way? donna, i know this is going to seem like a terribly long seven weeks, just hold on to what the end result will be. you are going to be happier. handsome is going to be happier. and i believe that tag will be happier too. just as we are when we submit our will to the Father, i think tag really wants to submit to you. it's that he has too much of an imp sitting on his shoulder telling him to be naughty. once someone convinces him how much happier he will be if he does submit he will gladly do so. set your eyes on your reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can tell by the look in his eyes he is ready for the challenge! I know you will miss him and he you.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boarding school?! He's being sent away to boarding school?! hee,hee,hee. Hopefully he will learn his lessons and be a good boy and not become the lead party animal!haaaaaaaa! Can't believe how grown up he is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna