May 27, 2016

Daisies and Hollyhocks...

Brynwood Needleworks - Bradley English Daisy Detail

When I owned Stitches (in Wisconsin), I traveled to trade shows and met Elizabeth Bradley. I was then exposed to her lovely Victorian woolwork cross stitch kits. I fell in love with them, and purchased them to carry in my shop.

Of course, I would need to own a few of the kits myself. I chose four or five of the floral kits, and I still haven't worked the majority of them.

Brynwood Needleworks - Bradley English Daisy Canvas

From what I can see, I last told my blog readers about these in 2013, so on the off chance you're not familiar with them, here are two of her designs. You can read that post HERE.

I worked the English Daisy (16" square) canvas in 2001. It took me six weeks to stitch. We were committed to moving to Florida, Handsome was already here and I was in Wisconsin, packing our belongings. In the evenings, I stitched.

The result was maintaining my sanity and this gorgeous completed canvas. I decided then, that I wouldn't frame it or make it into a cushion (or anything else) until I completed the rest of the kits I own.

Brynwood Needleworks - Bradley Hollyhocks Kit
 
I have the Lily, Magnolia, Sunflower and this one...Hollyhocks. (I may still need to get the Geranium kit, too.) 
 
All were chosen for their special meaning to me. I've decided that when I'm ready, Hollyhocks will be next. Perhaps on our next trip in the Flying Cloud would be a good time. I think I'll put it on the scroll rods soon, so I'm prepared. You never know when I'll get the "itch to stitch".
 
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. Those are lovely. Every now and then I get that itch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Donna!! I too loved Elizabeth Bradley wayyyyy back in my needlepoint days!! My Mom actually taught me to needlepoint when I was around 8 years old!! My first one was Gainsbourgh's Pink Girl (or I think it is really called "Pinkie"). Wish I still has that piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything has a time and place. I think your kits are beautiful and they have been very patient awaiting your completion. Your Flying Cloud time will be perfect for stitching Hollyhocks. There is something so very relaxing about putting needle and thread/yarn to fabric/canvas. Lovely day dear...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna