December 20, 2015

Dressed For The Holidays...

Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
Handsome and I decorated our home on Saturday. There are twinkling lights, sparkling tulle and vintage touches all around us.

The small music box on the left (red), features a skating Santa and Mrs. Santa who spin to the music and occasionally kiss. It belonged to Handsome's parents and is probably from the 1960s. Santa and the reindeer are newer, but Santa has been with us at least fifteen years.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
This is the end wall in our living room. We decided to use our fiber optic tree again this year. Freshly cut trees have been on the lots for at least a month now, and we didn't want to bring one in just to have it shed all over the floor in a few days. We'll do "real" tree next year.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
I'm quite fond of this little tree, though. We add garland, bows, sparkling snowflakes and a few other meaningful treasures.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
Tucked among the branches of this little tree are remembrances of dogs past...the last card we had with Kes and Fezzik, turned into an ornament; and the ornament that is a memorial to those beloved pets now across the Rainbow Bridge. They're always with us.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
There is the lighted, ceramic tree, painted and decorated by my fraternal grandmother and given to me, her eldest grandchild. It's one of my treasures.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
Two nutcracker stand sentinel on our makeshift mantle. One is actually a tower of containers that were previously filled with holiday treats. It was a gift from our old friend, David. The smaller nutcracker was tucked into a beautiful holiday floral arrangement I received one of the first years we lived here. More memory keepers.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
There are Christmas stockings for each of our family members - sons, daughters-in-love, grandchildren and each other. Some are hanging behind the tree.

The personal stockings that Handsome and I hang each year are from our childhood. Our stockings aren't in this picture. They're in the photo above, hanging on either side of the television.

I think I was about seven years old when I received mine - as a Christmas gift. It was made by the sister of my father's best friend. Geraldine placed each sequin and trim piece with love and care, and I treat it the same way...when it's stored eleven months of the year and when it's hung every Christmas.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
This is the first year I've displayed my music boxes in years. Each was a gift from my father over four Christmases. They all play a different holiday tune. I think I'll add to the collection from now on, and share them with our grandchildren when the time comes.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
This Santa mug and pitcher set is our oldest family Christmas piece. Our home isn't fully decorated until this set is on display. These are the "real" deal, not reproductions. They belonged to Handsome's parents and were used for egg nog or Tom & Jerrys each year. I'm sure we'll give at least one toast to his parents on Christmas Day from this set.
Brynwood Needleworks - Christmas Decorations 2015
This is our new tradition.

Last summer, I purchased the quilt that I dubbed the "Kingston Quilt" from a sweet lady named, Ann. She also offered this beautiful nativity set to me, and I was immediately taken with it. This set was in her family for years, and it was treated with tender, loving care all that time.
From this year forward, our family will be its caretakers. Someday, it will be passed to a member of our family who will love and treasure it. Isn't that really what the holidays are made of? Shared memories, shared traditions and the joy found in making new ones...The true meaning of Christmas that lives on in the hearts and minds of family.

We really are dressed for the holidays. 
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful decorations Donna. 'Love the quilt tradition also. The fiber optic tree and the ceramic tree are very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing with us, this is lovely and so special. Hugs from vermont! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having sentimental and meaningful decorations really adds to the magic of Christmas. Your home is lovely and your treasures are true heirlooms. Merry Christmas Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and full of memories. xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna