March 2, 2012

It's All About People...

Almost four years ago, I was a regular over on the Ravelry website. Although I don't get to visit there much these days, I'm still a member of the Grandma's Hand group. Some of my friends here were friends there first.

In August of 2008, Handsome had traveled to Massachusettes to visit his brother while I created a  wedding gown for my niece (who is also my goddaughter) here in Florida. As that trip came to an end, rather than receive a call from him to tell me he was on his way home, I got a call from my brother-in-law to tell me that Handsome had been flown (Flight for Life) to Boston Brigham & Women's Hospital.

I was journaling my wedding dress progress with the Grandma's Hand group, but it quickly turned into me sharing my concerns and fears with them. I'm not ashamed to say that those women, along with my faith, sustained me during the time I was with my husband in Boston. I'll never forget how those friendships forged on the internet, became a lifeline for me, while I was so far from home. (Thank you, Marrianne - and so many others for your help during a time that seems like a lifetime ago.)

I won't share the details of the scary three weeks (and subsequent months) that followed, but I do want to tell you about the doctor we met there. Dr. Bara Zuhaili cared for my husband every day, and frequently took the time from his busy schedule to make sure I was alright, too.
In the process, a friendship was forged. Bara was born in Syria. He has studied medicine here in the United States and is looking forward to completing his degree in plastic surgery. His desire is to help burn and accident victims to be whole again.

He speaks with the most wonderful accent, and we're learning more about his life and culture the longer we're friends. He's the age of our sons, so we feel like we've added another loving and generous young man to our family.
We were so happy when we received an invitation to his wedding in Michigan in May, which was soon followed by a telephone call to tell us that he and his fiancee' would be visiting family in the Orlando area this past week.

Last evening, we met them in Tampa for dinner. Iman (his betrothed) was born in America and lives in Michigan near her family. She and Bara have known each other for years (introduced to each other by their sisters!), and are now engaged. We are beyond happy for them. She is a beautiful woman, completing her studies in corporate law.

As Handsome and I drove home from the restaurant, smiling nearly all the way, we talked about how happy we are for both of them. They're a perfect match for each other, and we know they'll have a wonderful life together. We can't wait to travel to Michigan in May to watch them pledge their lives to each other.

More than anything, the four of us agreed that our friendship is about "people" and not "politics". We're glad they're in America, safe from the sadness in his home country. We're glad that the two of them have found love together, and pray that they'll always find happiness and home in each other.
DonnaAcornSignature

11 comments:

  1. Donna this is the most beautiful post...oh if all the world could just remember that it's about the people not the politics...and oh I must agree with you about our wonderful online friends...my online friends have sure helped sustain me these past several months. Your post has made me really smile this morning...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post! I wish Bara and his fiance much happiness and I wish you and Handsome, safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post this Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely story of friendship, Donna. I can't help but think how hard it must be for him right now as such terrible atrocities happen in his homeland. Have a wonderful time at the wedding (in my home state.)

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said Donna, I'm glad that Handsome has been able to overcome his illness and that you have forged such a wonderful bond with two people who on many would think are vastly different from you(us/Americans), but in reality we all want the same things, love happiness, health and safety. It is heartening to read that people can look beyond prejudices and cultural difference. Bless the future newly weds and you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, Isn't it wonderful to find such wonderful caring doctors, who are friends that care about both of you. We have had some of those over the years as we continue our fight with my hubby's illness. Knowing that you can talk to them if necessary. It doesn't matter to me if they have an accent as long as I can understand what they tell me. I love learning about other people, their cultures, and their world. I feel like I am traveling the world through them. Have a great weekend Hugs Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely abide by "Do not judge a book by its cover" and believe this should apply to people. To merely look at someone you have no idea of what they are about nor what they have accomplished in their lifetime. I had no idea of Handsome's health scares. He certainly looks like the picture of health and happiness with his beautiful smile. And you must have had to have so much strength and courage to endure all of that. May Bara and his fiance live a very long life filled with happiness. Such a blessing that you are all such good friends and enjoy one another. Very Heartwarming post my dear...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like friends - near and far.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Donna! Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ties into my Friday post about "All you need is love." If people would live by their hearts and not their heads the world would be a most beautiful place. Congratulations to them on their upcoming marriage. May they have a beautiful life together filled with every blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a lovely story to read.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna