August 21, 2011

More Fabrics For My Farmer's Wife Quilt...

I came across a kit that caught my eye last week. While "window shopping" at a LQS I saw a finished quilt hanging on the wall that I thought was really quite sweet. It had applique' (probably needle-turned - and you know how I feel about that! I did manage to finish a quilt using that technique, so I'm proud that I didn't quit), but this quilt on the wall was so pretty, I had to get the kit.
All these fabrics were included in the "Flutterby" kit.
The pattern is called "Flutterby" by Whimsicals, and the fabric line is called "Heart and Soul" by Whimsicals for Red Rooster Fabrics. Cute, right? The finished quilt was only 45" x 45", and even with the butterfly appliques', I figured it was imminently "doable" for me. 
When I opened the kit, these fabrics jumped out at me. I couldn't help but notice that some of them might be just the right additions for my "PIP" (Pile In Progress) for the Farmer's Wife quilt I'm going to make!
These fabrics are my starting point for the Farmer's Wife Quilt.
Remember, these are the fabrics that started my project PIP. I'll be sure to add more tans and golds, but I think at least some of the new fabrics will coordinate with these. 

Some of you have asked about how I'm going to organize the Farmer's Wife quilt project for anyone who wants to make one of their own at the same time. I think I'll be starting it mid-October (closer to the cooler weather here in Florida), and it will be a Sew-Along. We won't be trading blocks or anything drastic like that. All your work will stay with your own quilt. There will be no deadlines. I know that we don't all stitch at the same pace, but I'll set a goal for myself and you can see if my schedule will fit yours. I'll open a Flickr page where anyone making their own FW quilt can add photos of their blocks. That sort of thing. No one will be pressured or monitored. Fun for all. That's the way I roll at Brynwood.

I'll keep sharing my selections for my PIP, but will fine-tune my fabric choices as I get closer to actually cutting to start the quilt. I'll just keep showing you what I find and see where it goes from there.
Make your week joyful and creative!
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Hi Donna,
    Your fabric choices are so lovely. I can't wait to see your progress on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "PIP" (Pile In Progress) LOL! Very cute...I have LOTS of PIPs too but mine are "Projects in Progress". *wink*

    You are drawn to these soft, muted colors, I can tell, Donna. They are so soothing & I know this is going to be a great, long term project for you.

    Have a wonderful week, Honey,
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I wish I was ambitious enough to attempt a quilt like this but I am just going to enjoy watching your progress and talent with a needle unfold!
    Have a really great day Donna and love to the furballs!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, it's going to be a lovely quilt!
    Joyful and creative...words to live by and so within our realm of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo! Pretty! Love that PIP! Too funny!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, those fabrics are wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished product or even the work in progress pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, those fabrics are wonderful! Can't wait to see the finished product or even the work in progress pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new fabrics are as soft as a whisper and so lovely. I do see them coordinating with your FW quilt fabrics. I too shall follow your progress as I am not a quilter however I very much love quilting. Productive week to you dear...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices in fabric...I will join you. Tonight I'm stopping by one of my favorite quilt shops after work to look at choices of fabric. My problem is I love all the color ways and patterns...LOL
    Have a sweet day, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna, lovely fabrics and pretty pattern, too.
    I went to a craft fair here last week and saw some lovely large quilts made with just one jelly roll and some yardage, and one template, so I am inspired to start and use my jelly roll that has been sitting looking at me for quite some time. LOL.
    I have done a lot of needleturn- sewed a lot of Baltimore blocks , then got a bit less enthusiastic when I saw all the work required on the borders. I should just get on with it or make a swag border instead!!!
    Looking forward to Tuesdays post. Sandy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great fabric choices. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those fabrics! I need to get started on my fabric pile so I can join you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What beautiful fabrics, I've never seen that range before

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love that color palette! This quilt is going to be beautiful! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a very good choice of fabric color.

    Cass from Country Guitar Lessons

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to loveee seeing these quilts get put together. The colors are so pretty for your PIP ;) I really like that quilt kit you got too. I'm very partial to quilt kits cause picking and pairing the colors is the hardest part for me. I much rather have that part done for me. I can manage the rest. ;)

    Is the one project a "Quilt a Long" where a group is going to do it together?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna