August 1, 2009

Saturday Road Trip...

Saturday morning at 8 o'clock, my friends, Netta and Monica hopped into my Explorer and the three of us headed to Orlando to the CHA Craft Show. A quick three hours later, we had parked the car and walked across the lot to the Orange County Convention Center. I say "quick" because we hadn't been together for a while and were catching up during the drive.

Before we knew it, we were entering the show with our eyes open wide before all the displays. I've done trade shows and needleworker events before - both as a vendor and as a buyer - but that first sight of a show in full swing is always awe-inspiring.

We were quickly engulfed in a sea of humanity, all scurrying about for Make & Take workshops, vendor lectures, giveaways and demonstrations. We decided that it might be best for us to split up for a couple of hours and then meet at a designated time near the entry to grab a bite to eat. After our tasty repast, and comparison of shopping bag contents, we again set off for the vendor booths.

Many of the vendors were focused on products for knitting, scrapbooking and stamping, and I managed to find a few unique items that would suit my purposes. A booth run by Bello Modo (The Beautiful Way) from Olympia, Washington had these beautiful wire lace ribbons. They are tubular, so you can slip beads or other embellishments into them. They can be pulled lengthwise or widthwise and they retain their new shape to add a beautiful sparkle and a lacy effect to just about anything. You can see they come in many different colors, and they make up into beautiful jewelry!

Right on the counter next to the ribbon display was this beautiful necklace using first, a pendant with charms, then adding pearls inserted into the ribbon, alternating with spacers and dangles outside the ribbon. It was finished with a length of silver chain and a clasp at each end of the ribbon. I was intrigued enough to purchase about 6 different 1 yard lengths in a half inch width. I can't wait to play with it.

We left the show with bags full of information, free patterns, make & take projects - and feet a little sore. We stopped in Sarasota for a bite to eat and then headed home with our booty.

As I write this on Saturday night, I know that tonight my dreams will be filled with the sights and sounds of market, along with ideas cooking in my head just waiting for the right time to come forward in the studio. Tomorrow is going to be fun! Sweet Dreams.
JoySignatureBROWNSM
FIVE DAYS and counting until the 100th Post Giveaway!! I'm so excited about what I'll be offering. It's taking all my willpower not to spill all the details now!

1 comment:

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna