October 5, 2026

What I Gave Up...

I told you that Saturday would be a baking day. It was. It was also mowing day. That was perfectly timed, because even though there was no rain in the forecast, we did get rain showers late Saturday evening.

The bread was in the oven, and Handsome and I each rode our lawn tractors to get the mowing done in half the time it takes one of us alone. I had a timer in my pocket, so I'd know when to go in, take out the baked loaves, and rotate the other loaves into the oven.

As I rode around cutting "my" portion of the yard, I took photos of my late afternoon view. The sky was stunning, and I noticed the leaves are already beginning to turn. 

As I mowed around this old, now-falling-down fence, I found myself contemplating what it looked like when we bought this property.

This was part of the original fence and garden. There was a gorgeous, huge bleeding heart bush. There were irises and other flowers that blossomed spring through summer.

But, I'm no gardener, and although I tried keeping it cleaned up, once the stinging nettles (which give me a bad reaction) showed up, I threw in the towel. Andy came down and pulled the nettles once, but they quickly returned. So my fencerow went wild under my watchful, albeit neglectful eye.

I've observed the fencerow this summer. By letting it go, what happened is actually quite lovely. While there are still a few hardy daffodils and irises, the planted (civilized) flowers have otherwise disappeared.

What has replaced them are black raspberries planted by the birds that used to sit on the fencer. There are thick, wild vines that now obscure most of the old fence. There are sweet ox-eye daisies, Queen Anne's lace, chickory, creeping Charlie, and milkweed plants in their place. 

Where I rarely saw birds nesting, they are now sheltered by the riot of natural plants. They flutter from the bird feeders back to the fencerow, and sing to each other the whole time. When we get weather - be it rain or snow - I frequently see the little birds huddled under the branches for warmth or protection.

Mice, voles, ground squirrels, and other wee mammals share the space. I see them at my feeders, too  

Sunday morning I looked out to see a woodchuck dining on the birdseed I put out for the turkey. It's okay. All critters are welcome to visit, and while I invite them to linger, most aren't impressed with my co-hosts Bella, Carly, Claudette, and Crystal. (I purposely keep the cats indoors until nightfall to protect the birds and other small animals that are out during the days.) 

Have you noticed the change? We have here at the farmhouse.

So you see, I didn't really give up anything. Mother Nature is a much better gardener than I, and she's now provided beauty in another form for us, while also providing shelter and safety for other creatures. It turns out that, once again, nature knows best.

0 friends clicked here to leave a note for me:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna