October 7, 2026

Getting Fancy...

Today I'll be making some serious decisions about what I'll be wearing on Friday and Saturday for our granddaughter's wedding. (I know. More "last minute" from Donna.) Our 100 year old maple is getting a head start.

She's already starting to turn the glorious orange-red we've come to look forward to every fall. I think it's early this year, but it's so beautiful I'll take it anyway.

This tree stands taller than our farmhouse, and every spring she houses squirrels with litters of babies. They play among her branches until they're old enough to venture out on their own, and some have already returned to collect and store nuts from the nearby hickory trees.

I've listened to owls hooting from her branches as I fall asleep at night, or blue jays scolding the dogs or cats when they're outside. She's home, or a resting spot for other bids, too. Hawks and even an eagle sat on a high branch looking in my bedroom window this summer!

She is the mother tree whose roots and canopy communicate with all the trees around her, and I speak to her every time I'm in our front yard. I have even shared a special experience with her - believe it or not.

Have you ever watched "Trees" starring Dame Judi Dench? It's a visual and audio accounting of how trees communicate with each other and their surroundings. Then I've watched a few other videos about the health and psychological benefits of being a "tree hugger". I found myself trying to duplicate those experiences with our maple.

I love being barefoot, inside and outdoors. I try grounding techniques when I'm in our yard - an intake of earth's healing energies. I do this year round, and it's not unusual to even see me barefoot in the snow when I take the labs outside.

On one particular day this past summer, when the breeze was nearly imperceptible, I decided to try my own experiment from a video I'd watched.

I went and stood about a foot from the lowest branch on the tree. (I admit I did move a slight few inches closer during the event.) By the time I was finished, I was in tears.

As I stood there facing our maple, I began speaking softly. I told the tree how important she is - to us, our yard, and everything around her. I told her how beautiful and special she is. And then, I began my experiment.

I told her it would be okay with me - no, I'd be honored - if she wanted to reach out and touch me. I know. This is the part where you're beginning to question following this Nature Girl's blog all this time.

I continued speaking in a soft voice, when I noticed a change. The branch began to slowly move. Not the way the wind moves it. It was deliberate, slow movement toward me. I stood as still as possible so I wouldn't taint my experiment.

I stood there for nearly five minutes, talking to our tree, until she eventually covered my face with her leaves. I swear to you this is true. I was literally in tears as this happened. (I even did this a second time so Handsome could be my witness!)

I stood there a bit longer, and then thanked Mother Maple. I moved forward to her trunk, wrapped my arms around her and thanked her as tears fell down my cheeks. Then, I thanked my Dad for teaching me to notice and love the outdoors with all my heart and soul.

I hope you don't mind me sharing this experience, for in doing so, I've exposed the very essence of who I am with you.

I'll be going outside soon to talk with Mother Maple again to tell her how much I love her autumn attire. I want to let her know before she releases all of her leaves and withdraws her lifeblood to her roots in preparation for another winter.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story today. Perhaps when you're in your quiet frame of mind, you'll seek out a tree on a windless day and try my experiment for yourself. If you do, please send me a message to tell me what happened between you and "your" tree. I'd love to hear about it. 

Handsome is having breakfast with a friend this morning. I worked from 6 am until 2 pm yesterday, so I'm recuperating today. I'm going to take care of the girls, and when Handsome gets back,  I'm going to try on the dresses I purchased as "possibles" for this weekend. I'll have him take pictures so you can see what I was (or wasn't) thinking.

I'll be back tomorrow. I'm off the rest of this week, so I can focus on our most important family event. Thanks again for being here today. Sending hugs to you all.

0 friends clicked here to leave a note for me:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna