May 30, 2012

I've Been Reading Again...

web image
I love to read. I caught the bug when I was a child and it's never gone away. I remember the summer reading programs I took part in when I was a kid. Every year, we kept track of the books we read so that we could earn bookmarks and other small prizes through our local library. I don't even know if they do that for young people anymore, but if they don't they should!

If you've been following me for a while, you'll know that once I sit down and start reading, I keep at it for a while. Last summer I read books for weeks at a time, and managed to read over a dozen books within a couple of months. Well, summer has arrived and it's that time again!

I think it's important to start kids reading at an early age, and am tickled that all of our grandchildren are avid readers. My younger daughter-in-law introduced me to a series of books that our granddaughters are reading now called "The Sisters Grimm". There are nine books in the series. I started reading Book One last Friday and I'm nearly finished with Book Nine as of yesterday!

Sabrina (11 years old) and her younger sister, Daphne (who is 7) are descendents of the Brothers Grimm. The Brothers Grimm stories, thought by many to be fairytales, are actually factual accounts of the magical and mystical beings encountered by them. The fairytale creatures are referred to as "Everafters" by the family.

The books chronicle the adventures of the sisters, who are now the current bearers of the family legacy. They, along with their Granny Relda Grimm and a few trusted Everafter friends, solve mysteries in a small, strange town called Ferryport Landing.

I know they're not what anyone my age would consider "heavy lifting", but they are fun reading for any age! I regret that there are only nine books in Michael Buckley's current set, but highly recommend them as entertaining reading for your favorite youngsters (girls or boys).

As soon as I finish these, I'll be sure to let you know which book(s) I tackle next!
DonnaAcornSignature

4 comments:

  1. I read to my daughter, who now does not like to read.

    I read to my grandsons, who read magazines and books when they have to.

    I don't understand it. They wonder how I know so much and spell so well. I tell them that reading books has increased my skills.

    I hope some day they will read for pleasure, but truthfully I think that statistically a larger percentage of women read for pleasure than men do.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read to all three of my kids since they were just babies. My two boys are avid readers just like I am. Our youngest, our daughter only reads casually.
    Donna, you bet the still have reading programs at the libraries. My children loved them. Guess what? I am in the reading program my library has for adults! I am not sure if Menomonee Falls is alone in doing this, but it is neat for me to wait for a weekly drawing. It is only small prizes, but it is fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this series!! I LOVE to read!! I read all the time, if I'm not crocheting or stitching. I started my daughters reading a very young age, the day they were born!! My older two girls decided that I didn't need to read to them any more when they were about 8 years old, my youngest was 11!! I miss that snuggle time at the end of the day, but I look forward to stealing those grandbabies and reading to them every chance I get! Each of my girls have their own library that they get to take with them when they move out on their own. My library takes up a lot of our weight when we move and so now I own a Kindle!!

    My love for books started when I was learning to read at about 4 or 5 years old. My mom read to me and was so glad when I learned to read on my own! She still loves to read!! My Grandmas read to us whenever we visited, some of those books are still in Grandma's family room!! I hope I can pass on the love of reading to my grandchildren as well. We all have different interests in reading, but at least we are reading!! We certainly enjoy it more then watching television!

    I remember getting books from the bookmobile when I was young during the summer. And summer reading programs were always a joy, sadly they weren't as fun for my girls, so I created my own summer reading programs! When they read for so many hours, they got a prize and at the end of the summer, if they met the "Mommie Requirement" they got a VERY special prize...usually a trip to the book store to buy new books! I'm so looking forward to this summer and the reading program I plan to put together for my soon to be 13 year old!!

    We always give and get books for holidays, birthdays, and special occasions! I like to give a book to new parents for their new babies as well!

    Enjoy your books!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a lot. I still have my original Nancy Drew books form way back when. I think Nelson is a cutie too. AND that Tag, oh my what a handsome charmer he is. It was so nice to hear from you. I am doing much better today and hope to throw the cane out the window tomorrow. LOL This is all new to me so much reading on whats what. Thanks for the note.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna