May 18, 2011

A Feeling Of Accomplishment...

I spent yesterday in the studio, thoroughly engrossed in the process of assembling the blocks for my Summertime quilt. Every cut mattered, and if I cut a square the wrong direction (which I did when my mind slipped from time to time) I rendered it useless for this project and had to put it off to the side. "Concentration" was the word of the day, but I really made progress.

After the blocks were assembled, I cut 2" wide strips for sashing. I love the soft green swirls that remind me of watermelon rinds. Don't you think it fits in perfectly for my theme?
The green shows up a little "yellower" on my screen, so I'll assume it might on yours, too. The color works really well with the actual blocks and I promise to take a photo outside in daylight when it's all finished.
I'm posting this photo again so that you can see what the inspiration from Rebecca Barker's postcard looked like. I think I've managed to stay pretty true the original as I created this quilt without a pattern. I'd be lyin' if I said I didn't waste a little fabric in the process of calculating and assembling the blocks!
I ended the day with all the sashing completed. Next, I'll add a border or two and then it will be on its way to Kathy for quilting. I have to get in line for her services (she's got room in her schedule for me the end of June), so you won't see my Summertime quilt again until I bind it and it's all finished.

Tomorrow is Silent Friday in honor of Fezzik, so I'll catch up with you on Saturday. I'll be working on my crocheted sweater, so perhaps I'll have some progress to share with you then. Happy creating!

17 comments:

  1. Donna - Your Summertime Quilt is stunning!! I love the colors and you picked the perfect sashing!! You have done a really nice job on this quilt!! Can't wait to see it later in the summer when it is all quilted and bound!! Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,

    The quilt is beautiful. Can't wait to see it quilted. I hope to have a studio day today or tomorrow. I will have to clean it up first!!!!

    Have a great day!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful, Donna! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Hello! This so sings to my heart and screams Susan Branch (I adore her). Delightful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. (gasp) Donna, your quilt took my breath away as I scrolled down! It is absolutely glorious! Have a nice day! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful and I can't believe you did this without a pattern! You're my hero!! I don't think I could ever do something like that. Yards of fabric would end up being a mountain of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Concentration is key to so much in life. I wish I had learned to concentrate more in so many ways. Your green sashing is perfect and really does represent the watermelon rind. This is such a cheerful summertime quilt. Calming crocheting will be so relaxing for Silent Fezzik Friday. See you Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sew impressed and can feel the warmth of this through the screen...the sashing is perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Donna, beautiful quilt, I just love that green fabric- green being one of my favourite colours. I am still plodding along on my handquilting of my Xmas quilt- I'm only about 4 years late! :)
    Have a peaceful day tomorrow. Hugs, Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Donna, what a wonderful job you did on that Summertime quilt-absolutely gorgeous!! I hear you about concentration-I need to do that sometimes when I'm knitting or I have to tear a whole lot out! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE that quilt. The colors(as always are Yummy)...and that inspiration card is WONDERFUL...Could you copy the photo onto material and quilt it into a pillow? and maybe make more of the strawberries as iron on's for whatever..."LOVE,LOVE,LOVE It!!!
    Big Soothing Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the quilt Donna - and I think you stayed so true to your objective.
    I saw a lady the other day, walking her dog, here in France. He was a frisky little Corgi, and was happily sniffing here and there and he looked like Fezzik from the pictures you have posted. It hit me then, what you are missing. I knew it from your words, and because I have lost a few beloved pets, but that little dog, sniffing all around made me think of you and I felt sad. But I felt happy too, because there was a lady walking her dog and she was delighting in him.
    And that in itself is tribute. If it makes any sense at all. But sometimes I think our grief is eased in someone else's happiness...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your summertime quilt is just lovely, Donna! Congrats on finishing it up. It is Friday night already - but I will say a little something for sweet Fezz this evening. Hope you had a relaxing and peaceful day crocheting. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should fell great about all you get accomplished. I'm truly in awe.
    Thinking of you today. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking fantastic as I knew it would. Can't wait to see the finished product.

    Minimiss

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna