November 8, 2010

Time For A Block Party...

I miscounted the number of squares I made for the Lavender Dreams quilt. I told you there were 288, when there were actually 576. Man, I thought they were multiplying and I'd never get this step finished. Now I know why...Twice as many as I thought. I've been calling this portion of the assembly the "Square Dance".

All of the squares are assembled, ironed and then, well...squared up. You can see in the first photograph just how that was done. Where I've placed arrows, you can see how the fabric of the finished square hung out behind the ruler.

I lined up the diagonal seam on each square with the diagonal line on the ruler. Then I checked to see if there was fabric sticking out behind the ruler. If there was, I cut it off on two sides and then turned the square around to repeat the process for the other two edges. 576 times. I am so over this step!

So far, this part took much more time than I expected. I'd hoped to finish the quilt top assembly by last Sunday. Now I'm hoping to get it pulled together by Wednesday
There are 96 squares of each fabric pattern. Enough to make 6 star blocks in each pattern.
I love how the blocks are going to look. Oh, and Miss Snoopy Pants has seen my posts, so the cat's out of the bag. I really don't mind that she found out. She and I were on the phone, and she was almost crying at my fabric choices and the quilt pattern. She said she can't wait til it's finished and on her bed. I can't either.

So, the Square Dance is over, and now it's time for a Block Party. Let's see just how many days this party lasts!

14 comments:

  1. You are a very dedicated lady, all those squares would have had me seeing 'stars'.
    Enjoy your block party.
    Hugs, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder Miss Snoopy Pants is excited...this is going to turn out super-D-duper, Donna! I love the star block shape that results when they're all combined properly.
    You're going to have to be well rested & wide awake once you start assembly!!
    Can't wait to see it completed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Snoopy Pants....you're so funny with all your cute little nicknames. That quilt is so so pretty, well the fabrics and pattern anyway.

    Just wanted to stop by and tell you I miss you. I'm not getting to visit much these days but it means so much when I hear from you. Your prayers are so appreciated. (No change for MIL right now).

    Hugs and love to you Sweetie...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh out loud at that 'me either'. You have won 5 stars in the dedication department. The blocks are going to be / are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top finished by Wednesday and today is Tuesday....I say PARTY ON
    Sister. I hope you are right on schedule.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! That's a lot of squares and a lot of cutting! It will also be a lot of beautiful when completed. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ... I am Ms. Snoopy Pants. I almost started crying again when I looked and saw all the effort that my big sissy is taking to make me the most wonderful gift ever!
    I firmly believe she put all these posts up here in an attempt to keep my head from exploding with anticipation. LOL ... Love ya Sis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so beautiful! Like rabbits...multiplying!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabrics and squares are beautiful. I can't believe you had enough fabric to make double the number you needed. Happy block party...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love the colors. Can't wait to see it all finished. Very pretty! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna, In reading your blog, you have been a very busy lady. Your sister will be one lucky lady because I think the quilt will be beautiful. I have been very busy. The open house is Thursday at the mall I think I am as ready as I will be. I have a craft show the 20th and the 26th. My oldest grandson is going to keep me company because he thinks grandma needs someone with her. He is so adult. He is only 11, but he is as tall as I am already and still growing. Mom had to buy new clothes again because he is growing so fast. Have a great day. Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna, your sister's quilt is going to be beautiful. I feel your pain with squaring up all those squares that's the most tedious part of quilting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Clip, snip, press, repeat. Clip, snip, press, repeat. Go Donna Go!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna