April 4, 2009

Baubles, Bangles and Bright Shiny Beads...

Well, I did manage to finish one project this week. I love this scarf! It's a Deanna's Vintage Styles pattern.

I used Koigu KPPPM 100% merino wool in a fingering weight, and the prestrung beads available from Deanna's in Grosse Pointe Woods, MI. These people are really friendly, and Gary is happy to help with reorders.

I started my scarf on Tuesday when my friends, Netta and Becky came to my house for a girls' knitting night. We shared a light dinner and then got to our projects. Becky had done knitted beadwork before, so I saved this project until she came over because I just couldn't figure out how to do this when I read the pattern. There is an old adage that "knitting patterns are meant to be worked, not read", and it turned out to be true, particularly in this case. Both of us read and re-read the instructions, but I just wasn't getting it...until I started just doing what the pattern told me to do and then...voila!...easy peasy!

I finished my scarf last night and wore it out to breakfast this morning when I met Netta and Becky for our Saturday morning "gossip and nosh" and it was a huge hit. I'm going to make a few more so I'll have something beautiful as gifts for family and friends throughout the year.

So, this week wasn't a total loss...I learned some lessons, had fun with friends and I have a fabulous new scarf to show for it. I'm a happy girl.

(Click on the link in the left column to go and check out Deanna's Vintage Styles website!)

6 comments:

  1. It's beautiful. I think my local yarn shop has that in a kit. I did a little beaded amulet bag, you do just have to follow the directions, and bingo, it works. Marion W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Job well done Donna. The scarf is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarf is beautiful. Dimwit me couldn't find it on the vintage knit site or the foxyknit site. Guide me to it and/or send me the web address. I think I'm going to order the kit for the choker and knit it since it benefits the Komen foundation. It's close to my heart as I'm a 10 year survivor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That scarf would look FIERCE in a yellow merino with oh...maybe GOLD beads. I'm going to be sending a package to FL very, very soon!

    :o) JJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. To my brilliantly clever, eldest daughter...All I can say is that you make your Mummy very, very proud. Keep up the good work Honey, and enjoy doing it with all your friends. Wish I were there to meet with all of you for fun coffee/tea times...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a site. I am in awe. I bow to the Queen. What more can I say? See ya on Wednesday! Love ya' MVa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna