September 21, 2011

Cottages In My Kitchen...

In August of 2009, I shared a story with you about receiving some of my mum's beautiful, English cottage ware. This is the photograph of the pieces in my kitchen that I shared then. (Here's the link to that short post.)
When I saw Mum recently, she surprised me with the rest of her set (except the large coffee mugs which she still loves to use). Cottage ware makes me smile, and these are pieces that Mum has collected over many years. I believe she's had many of these pieces over twenty five years.

Additionally, they're special to me because they are British, a bond that Mum and I also share, having both been born in England. (Mum became a naturalized American citizen many years ago, and I am American by virtue of the fact that my father was in the military at the time of my birth.)
There is a beautiful biscuit "box" with a rattan handle, egg cups, a butter dish, another tea set, cups and saucers, larger cups and luncheon plates. There are actually more pieces than I've shown here, but I'm sharing at least one piece of everything that makes up the whole set.
All this wonderful whimsey to remind me of Mum. Pieces I can use while she can see how much joy they bring to me. Now, to figure out where I'm going to display them once we get back home. I'll have fun finding a new spot for them. Thanks, Mumsy!
Photobucket

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous. You HAVE been collecting some treasures lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collection is Beautiful Donna and I also Love family Treasures like that..especially from my Grandmother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice set of dishes. I've never seen any like them! Will look great to use in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Donna, what a wonderful collection that your mom has passed along to you. I'll bet
    that it gives her as much pleasure seeing
    you use it as it does for you having it.
    I adore the 'biscuit box'.
    It's amazing that everything is there and in
    perfect condition. A very beautiful set.
    Warm Regards,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Donna
    I have never seen cottage ware before and its just perfection. What a treasure. And so very "Donna" I might add.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the butter dish of this collection. I thought it was just a butter dish. I had no idea there was all this other fun stuff like it!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how wonderful..and a set, even! I love little cottages in every shape and form and have a mantle full of them. Thanks for the post. ; )
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh is that ever gorgeous! I love it!
    xx, shell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, such a charming wee village...overflowing with love and cherished memories. There is something precious about using things that a mother's hands touched so very lovingly. Thank you ever so much for sharing your treasures.

    Wishing you happy days ...

    Warmly,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delightful collection! They make me smile, too! I know you will always treasure them and their connection to your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How special and generous of your Mum to share these with you so you can enjoy them for many years to come just as she has enjoyed them. They are charming and somehow I just know you will find the perfect spot for displaying and using them. Happy Flying in your Cloud...

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are gorgeous, Donna. One of my Grandmothers had a few pieces, I'm sure one had a cane handle, but don't know what happened to them. I bought a tepot/sugar bowl/milk jug that are similar, from a little antique store years ago, I noticed it in their window as I was walking by. They had it set up as a doll and teddy bears "morning tea" :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna - they are beautiful. I've never seen anything like them. I love architecturally decorated items. I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Donna!!! It's amazing the bond "US BLOGGERS" share with each other. I was just admiring my PIECED TOGETHER collection of "Cottageware", and thought I'd look them up. When I typed into the computer COTTAGEWARE IMAGES, it popped up LOTS and LOTS of images for me to browse AND of the HUNDREDS maybe THOUSANDS of images "I PICKED my favorite photo to explore...AND..."THERE YOU WERE"!!! I love your story of you and your Mum, that is precious that you have her cottageware. I wish mine had such a story! I collect it as "It follows me home"! LOVE LOVE LOVE your biscuit jar! I am determined to find one of those...
    So WONDERFUL to visit with you!
    "Happy belated St Paddy's Day",
    "Happy Easter to you and yours",
    and
    Big Squishy Hugs to you,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna