March 16, 2009

We Watched The Shuttle Liftoff...


At around 7:45 Sunday evening, Handsome, Kes and I headed to the open area of our property here on the Gulf Coast and watched the skies to our northeast. As the sun was going down behind us, a huge contrail, colored with the pinks and peaches of a beautiful sunset, marked the path of the latest shuttle launch, Discovery.

It's hard to imagine that there are hours of driving miles between us and the launch site, as this vision seemed to be only a short distance away. The sound created by the launch must be deafening if you're right there!

Handsome and I whooped and hollered at the craft as it fought its way into outer space, and we said our shared silent prayers for the safety of her crew.
(photo courtesy of NASA website. Click on the title of this post to see more NASA pictures.)

2 comments:

  1. Deece,
    Finally got a chance to sit down. You go girl with this blog. Nobody can keep you down. You're inspiring me to start thinking about creating my own blog again. I've considered it many times but just don't know what the focus of it will be! Obviously it will include knitting, another craft or two and grandkids. I don't know. Soon as I add some more administrators/moderators I'm going to link your blog to my Ravelry profile. More administrators just incase I'm "banned by association." (laugh). Handsome IS HANDSOME girl. And a musician to boot??!?!! Dang! Does he have a brother? I can only imagine what a site, far away as it was, the launch must have been. Definitely the prayers. I'll never forget the fist tragic flight with the school teacher. I'm long-winded. Let me stop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan:
    I'm so glad you're here! I've been having fun setting up my site...all mine!!! woo hoo!
    You're right...he is Handsome. He's primarily a 'jazzer', too, which I know you'd like! lol
    Those silent prayers were raised, because the last launch we were able to see from our yard resulted in the tragic shuttle "scattering" across the Southwest US. We pray for every crew to return safely to their families since that happened. It was awful.
    You be sure to let me know when your blog is up...I'll link back to it, too! See if you can't get some of our grandma pals to join me, too. I've been informed about some of the things being said by others outside our group about the "bannings", and I assure you, at least for myself, I'm innocent of any wrong doing. I hate that we're all unable to defend ourselves. It's totally antithetical to the American Way.
    Glad you're my friend. Again, thanks for joining my "followers". I'm getting that christening gown started next week and will blog the whole process here!
    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna