March 17, 2009

My Side of the Story...

I wasn't sure I was going to do this, but after multiple emails and phone calls asking, "Where did you go?", I decided it was time to address this. But just this one time...

For all its wonder and elegance, the Internet can be a nasty place. People are able to pretend to be someone or something they're not, behave in ways they would never behave in the company of real people, or say things under the cloak of anonymity that they would never think to utter in front of their mom or dad. For me, it's a simple thing. Either a person has integrity or they don't. What does that mean? Integrity is how a person behaves even if they're positive they'll never get caught. I am a person of integrity. Pure and simple. It governs my daily life and my behavior, online or off. It's who I am - right down to the core. Put it on my headstone if you want..."Here lies a Woman of Integrity".

I, too, am a former member of Ravelry. I've been "forbidden" to access the site anymore by the owners of the site. Why? Well, I can honestly tell you I have no idea. No, really! I have no idea. It's been "reported" that it was because of unacceptable behavior on their site. Hmmm, my posts are all still there. If you're a member, please go read my words, which have been saved for posterity. I was never unkind, rude, nasty, obnoxious, or God-forbid, "vile" as some have said of all the nearly 200 people who were tossed off the site.

Here's the truth. For me, there was life before Ravelry, and there will be life after Ravelry. What I'll miss is the daily dose of like-minded, creative women whose lives I shared on Grandma's Hand, Sage Wisdom and Sew Obsessed...all groups on Ravelry. We never discussed politics. We talked about family, our crafts and our lives. We had so much more in common than we had differences.

When I raised a call for handcrafted pet mats for the unhomed pets at our local Suncoast Humane Society, I received crocheted and knitted mats from all over the country from members of Sage Wisdom and Grandma's Hand. I was honored to present them to the staff at the shelter, who were grateful for the heart and hard work that had gone into each and every mat. I know for a fact that the animals have appreciated them during our unusually cold Florida winter this year!

There are also wonderful women I met, in person, as a result of my membership in Ravelry. One day, early in my membership, I received a private message from a gal named Netta (I revised this to remove her Rav name) who told me she lived just down the road from me in the next town. She invited me to meet her for knitting night at the local Books-a-Million store and introduced me to more beautiful women that I'm now happy to call my friends. Through her, I also met and befriended many more creative women in a local Project Linus group.



I still have my local Ravelry friends and for that I'm very grateful. What I've lost is the daily contact with the "Grandmas" and the unique perspectives on family that we share; those wise women over at Sage Wisdom, who gave my mind a daily exercise; and the talented and beautiful minds creating equally beautiful things in Sew Obsessed. To think that any of them might believe me to be capable of the awful things being written about the "Forbidden 200" pains me greatly. I only hope that the few who come here and read this will go back to the many who still reside in those groups and ask them to come and visit me here.

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. You really do not deserve this treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for what you (we) have lost.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving post! Great job. BTW, you and your family are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written Donna!
    The virtue of Integrity is not found in many.
    Be proud,stand tall and move on! I think you have truly found a great venue for your artistic talents and voice. I'm loving it!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, my friends.
    It was an emotional post for me to write, and I so appreciate your thoughts.
    Hugs always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's 11:09pm according to my computer. Finally got over here. What a lovely post, same things you said to me in your email; what I already knew with or without you having posted it! Everyone feels the same as I do. Now it's just time to move on. I'll be posting your blog location for those at Grandma's Hand. If I'm penalized by TPTB, oh well. I'm still trying to find the focus for the blog I want to start my friend. I will soon. And look for another Grandma's group soon as I figure out which host I want to use. It won't be called the same and will only be for those who are already a part of the group. If new members are allowed, they will have to be approved. But like I said, it will probably not be open to new members!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will miss you at Ravelry, but have bookmarked your blog spot. My parents live in Sebastian, Fl. My nieces are there visiting. They, too, saw the shuttle go up. I have a blog, but don't seem to do much with it. All for now. Nexttowest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna! I'm so glad I thought to go to the Grandma's Hand group to search for word of you. I'm not a grandma (or even a mom) but I sometimes visited there to see what lovely things you and the others were making and chatting about.

    This latest uproar at Rav might really dishearten us, if I let it. Recent events there have made me question whether it's a place I want to be. For now, I've chosen to stay, but I am definitely laying low and avoiding all but the fibrecrafts and fun general interest groups.

    Oh, you should know, nothing from your Rav profile is available for viewing there at present. Don't know if that will ever change. It's such a shame...but I suppose we ought to be braced for more of the same, the climate being as it is, anymore.

    Again, I'm so glad you're blogging, and that I found you! I'll be checking back regularly.

    Remember John 15:17-19. The consolation, of course, is 'You're doin' it right!'

    xox Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry this happened to you. If there's anything I can do for you, just let me know. I am one of those that can attest to the fact you did nothing wrong on Raverly.

    sugarmomma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Zieknits and sugarmomma for coming to my blog! It's so wonderful to see you here. Pass the word to my other pals, please, to come and visit!

    I received an email notice at around 10:30 pm last night (nice timing, don't you think?) that gave the official reason for my being banned at Ravelry siting "membership of the off-site group..www.Bunkerboard.com... You may appeal your banning from Ravelry...UNLESS you are a member of the Bunkerboard."

    I know that I have a clear conscience and that I did nothing wrong to Ravelry as a member of the Bunkerboard, so I can now proclaim that I was banned simply because of my association with a specific website. Case closed.

    I'm relieved to know that my profile no longer shows on their site. I hope that their member count has likewise been dimished by this "one".

    I won't speak of it here again. I'm ready to get back to doing what I do best...creating and keeping in touch with my loved ones...you included!!

    (((BIG HUGS OF GRATITUDE!!)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. As requested, I just put the word out to the Sage Wisdom gals.

    Big Hugs Back,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well...I guess, just one more thing...I received this email this at 5:45 ET from Ravelry:
    Dear Donna,

    We've reinstated your Ravelry account. We are very sorry that you were caught up in this and we hope that you still feel welcome on Ravelry.

    Thank you for understanding - and thank you for being patient. We've been working quickly but it has still taken a long time to get people back in.

    Casey, Jess, and Mary-Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blog. I know you are going to do great things with it. As another of the "banned" for belonging to Bunkerboard, I'll be meeting up with you here and in our email visits! So glad we met through Ravelry.

    Thanks for promoting the Etsy sellers...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Donna, I AM IN SHOCK!!!

    Can not believe this happened, to you of all people.

    I truly thought Ravelry was above all this nonsense.

    I sing (use to sing) Ravelry's praises to other virtual friends almost daily, because you could post with out persecutions for your thoughts. I also belong to a cooking website that bans members quite frequently for posting what they call objectionable remarks to certain threads, and yet other members get away with doing the same thing.

    I am sad, very sad this happened to you, however happy I found your blog. I will visit you frequently.

    Fondly,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. WTF? Deece... have missed your kind words on Sage, I don't post very much, but have loved reading your words.

    Well, now I know where to find you and when I need your words of wisdom, can ask you here. Miss you lots, work is crazed, we are screaming for help but are also resisting until we know how the construction market is going to be.

    Yikes! This is NUTS!

    Miss you lots,

    Cynthia aka fattycats

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey,Cynthia!
    So glad you're here. I was re-instated after they reevaluated my posts. I'm glad that I was able to reconnect with my Ravelry friends. I'm also thoroughly enjoying the whole process of blogging and keeping in touch with family and friends with this new venue.

    I hope you'll feel free to contact me any time, and keep in touch here and as we have in the past on Sage!

    Hugs and gratitude,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Donna...I am the lucky one to have met you through Ravelry. I am glad that they have come to their senses. Ravelry to me is just a CRAFT site...nothing more EXCEPT that it brought your friednship to me. For that I am eternally blessed.How lucky that we are "just down the road" from one another.
    Netta

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had no idea you had been banned,but I'm very happy you are "cleared" and back again as ou should be! thanks so mch for drfecting me to your blog --- I hadn't known about it, and will now follow it.

    Again, welcome back to Ravelry!

    Boud

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna