November 9, 2012

Rockin' Robin...

Before I tell you about what I'm doing now, I have to stop to say "thank you" to everyone who left a comment about the quilt. You're all so kind and generous with your compliments, and I'm so grateful and humbled by your words. Now that I've completed my swoony Scrappy Plate quilt, it's time to pull out my applique' supplies and get my Wisconsin block finished.

I have a tin cup (to catch little thread snippets), a small bottle of Roxanne's Glue Baste-it, Thread Heaven, a trolley needle (to help tuck in loose ends), needles, scissors and two different kinds of thread. I really prefer using Kimono silk thread in 60 wt. (on spools), but if I need a different color than those I have, I choose from the Superior 50 wt. silks on the bobbins. I also have a magnetic
needle/pin catcher (see the acorns?) that attaches to my tin mug to keep track of my extra needles.
During the day, the best place for me to work is right at my studio work table. I've got great light and a convenient place to stage all my supplies. I spent most of the day here yesterday and I actually managed to complete about three-quarters of the block by the time I stopped.
This picture shows where I began the day. I'm quite sure that by the end of today, I'll have it completely stitched. I named this post "Rockin' Robin" because of the bird in my block, but I know it's gonna have my buddy, Shell (and a few of the rest of you) singing all day, right? hee hee

Have a great day, my friends. If anyone asks, you know where I can be found (after Saturday morning coffee group)!
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. Donna,
    It is absolutely beautiful and I love the way you have arranged. I start out that way and then.....

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful!!
    I also love your recent quilt finish.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, my friend. This winter, I will be hand quilting the quilt I made a few years ago for our bed. Yikes. What a job! But Don will be away,and I figure I will be able to get a lot done in the evenings.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful appliqué block!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am excited.. I feel like I am working on this only without the work.. oh yeah I love that bobbin holder too.. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, it's rolling through my head right now - I love that song - so cheery. Your work is stunning Donna - just stunning. I am intrigued about the trolley needle for applique. I have only ever used mine for silk embroidery, laying those strands side-by-side and am wondering how you use it for applique.... to tuck in the fabric of the applique? Also, the Superior silk thread on bobbins... did you buy it like that or do you have to wind it yourself? It looks like an beautiful rainbow there on your table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna this is wonderful to see not only your beautiful applique block and precise stitching...it is so good to see your supplies you use. Also to have you explain what you use and why. If I ever try to applique I will not be afraid because you have shown me the correct path to follow. Yup...Rocking Robin...Hey little Robin...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna