November 29, 2012

Embracing William Morris...

I'm still working on this, but I'm sure getting better. I've been slowly moving out things that we no longer use, don't fit our style or decor anymore, or just plain don't make us happy. I'm tired of dusting "stuff" that just takes up space.

It's not even a matter of making room for more stuff. It's about making spaces for our eyes and our bones to rest. We're I'm finally embracing the philosophy of "less is more". You know. When you have fewer things, you're more able to appreciate (or just plain "see") the things you love the most. (Like each other!) Handsome has always been better at this than I, so when he sees me filling boxes or bags, it makes him happy.

Today is my applique' class. I'm really looking forward to spending the day making new friends and seeing dear friends again. I can think about tossing, donating or selling things tomorrow. After all, "tomorrow is another day". (To say nothing of another month already!!!) This also marks my 1300th post. I may do something special soon to celebrate.
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. that's interesting over the last few years I've been doing just that. Hardly have anything about now just a few oddments. Makes life a whole lots easier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I would like to do just this and edit out things...however somehow I am just not ready. I am comforted with my things that have so many memories attached. I did decide a few years ago that I do not NEED a lot of the things I thought I wanted...like a new front entry antique piece just to sit there and look good. My heirs selling it for 10 cents on the dollar really puts it into prospective. Mr. C would be ecstatic if I were boxing and bagging and de-cluttering. He has a rule..."Volume In Equals Volume Out". So I throw away packaging and that is quite a lot of volume!
    Happy Teaching Today Dear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you and echo Sherry's sentiments as well. At least that is what I say when I bring something new home.(well, new to me!)For every piece that comes in at least 2 have to go out in one way or another. Bet you are having a ball at the class. (*_*)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to have been moving stuff out and to my kids etc.. where ever it needs to be besides here... I have a long way to go rant you but I am slowly working on it... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm such a William Morris fan! And I love that saying of his. I've gotten rid of quite a bit during the sewing room swap and still have things to get rid of. Have you gotten either one of the quilt books on his designs? I have the first one, very interesting stories about him and his life, as well as beautiful Applique patterns :) Which I fully plan on making something - soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup - don't I know it - trying to do teh same thing myself.
    I've been very inspired by William Morris lately - I bought a quilting book based on his style and sensibility and love it, and now The Morris Apprentice fabric is out - and it's beautiful! If my Sale goes well enough I think I shall treat myself to a little of it and make a lap quilt - I just wish I lived closer so you could help me with the finer points (eek!) of applique so I could really do justice to his beautiful style!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna