November 22, 2012

Recipe For A Holiday Favorite...

This is the dessert I served yesterday following our Thanksgiving dinner. It's Cranberry Cake with a sweet sauce that's served warm over the top (or floating the cake if you like it as much as we do!). I mentioned it to my friends on Facebook while I was making dinner and they asked me to share the recipe. I shared it with them, and today I thought I'd share it with you, too!

My oldest friend is Cyd (I wrote about her here.) Her mom used to make this dessert when we were growing up, and she shared the recipe with my family. It continues to be a favorite in our home to this day. In addition to being delicious, it's easy, too!
I was fortunate to purchase Wisconsin cranberries at our Florida Publix store when I went shopping for ingredients. (A little taste of our home state for our warm-weather dinner.) You'll need about three cups of fresh cranberries, which get rinsed and drained before you add them to the recipe. One bag is usually enough.
You'll put the mix into a 13 x 9 pan and bake about 35-45 minutes in a 350° oven, and it will come out looking golden brown like this one. I usually make the sauce ahead and then just reheat it when it's time to serve dessert. I also added pecans (just on top) this time. That's personal preference, but I was glad I did. It added just another texture to the cake.

Cranberry Cake with Sauce
D. Liljegren • Brynwood Needleworks
Cake Recipe:
3 tsp. melted butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
Mix ingredients together and then fold in:
 3 cups whole cranberries.
Turn into a 13" x 9" pan.
Sprinkle pecans on top, if desired
Bake 350° for 35-45 minutes. 

Sauce Recipe:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
Blend in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Take off the heat and add:
2 tsp. vanilla
Spoon warm over serving pieces.
This sauce stores and reheats well, too. 
Enjoy!


If you try this recipe, I'd love to know what you think.  No Black Fridays around here. I'll be in the studio working on Handsome's Christmas gift.
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Donna! This sounds so good, I really would like to try it. I would definitely add the pecans! I'm with you, no black Friday shopping here either. I always enjoy seeing the beautiful Christmas gifts that you are working on! Love to you! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this recipe which looks and sounds delicious. I will be making this. No Black Fridays for me either. Just some local town enjoyment. Sunshine Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks delicious Donna. We don't get fresh cranberries over here but DH and I are musing over whether or not we could soak dried cranberries and use them. Might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just found out that we do grow cranberries over here but on a very small scale, in the South Island. Of course they are available during our autumn/winter, from March 'til June, so not much use for making cranberry cake for Christmas or a Kiwi Thanksgiving. Back to soaking the fruit I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Donna, for the recipe. It looks delish. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, My middle grandson made cranberry mini tarts. He helped his momma first and the last time he did them all by his self. I am so glad that the boys like to help in the kitchen while they are young and don't think it is sissy work. Your cake sounds yummy. Enjoy your weekend. I spent the day in Amish country at Jamesport, Mo. with my daughter-in-law, and my oldest two grandsons. Hugs from Your Missouri Friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna