September 1, 2026

Piece By Piece...

I know it doesn't look like much, but the silver brilliant check is a smaller gauge than I usually use, and each chipping (cut piece) is tiiiiny! You can see them in my little bees wax pot in this picture. That silver strand next to my laying tool is what they look like uncut. It seriously took me a couple hours to get this far.

I'll work on it again when I get home from work today. (I'm liking these new hours, by the way.) I'm hoping to at least complete half of this heart by the time I stop later today.

Wish me luck!

 

11 comments:

  1. Wow! That is going to be so dazzling and sparkly! Such a "labor" of love! But, now I feel like I need to go back and see if you explained this process somewhere in the past...the "laying tool" threw me and I can't picture how you are painstakingly attaching all that sparkle and using that tool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lois-
      I use two strands of metallic thread to attach the chippings. It always wants to twist (or get caught in the coils of the brilliant check pieces) so after I get the chipping piece on the needle and down the thread, so it's close to the spot where it will be attached), I hold the thread with my laying tool a few inches away from where it comes up through the fabric, and hold it as I draw through the rest of the thread. The laying tool follows the thread down from there so I can keep it untangled. I hope that explains it. (I may need to do a short video.) I wish I could capture the sparkle in my photographs.
      Hugs,
      Donna

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes! Thank you for explaining...I can now picture how that would work and help you in the process.

      Delete
  2. It's turning out gorgeous.
    I'm sure she will appreciate all of your hard work.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - those itty bitty pieces! I just know I'd spill the entire lot on the floor. I had a hard enough time making little bows to add to presents in my latest landscape and can't imagine working with what you're doing. It's going to be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MA-
      This small hoop won't support my flat velvet board, so I needed to figure something out to corral them. As I pull the thread through, they bounce all over the fabric, so I'm using my little wax pot right this time. I can only imagine how hard it is to make your little bows!
      Thanks, dear.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  4. Great progress.
    Where would we be without our Lowery?
    Nice that your new hours are working for you.
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley-
      I think my Lowrey is the best stand I've ever owned. (I'm sure, like you, I've had more than a few.) I do love my new hours. The young gal taking my shift (so far) complains about how busy Tuesdays are (I know. They've always been my days since I started working there). The two ladies replacing me together don't equal my age, and I work circles around the cashier. She started in on my yesterday about how hard it was and how stressed she is about work, I walked out giggling yesterday. She's a hoot.
      xo
      Donna

      Delete
  5. Sherryofcreateology: You dear have the magic touch and the patience to work so tiny. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna