November 24, 2017

Family...

Jan's fiance' and his boys

I hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving, spent with loved ones or friends. Handsome is in Florida, and he had dinner with dear friends. My youngest sister invited me to spend the day with her, so Tag and I traveled "over the river, and through the woods" yesterday.

She and her fiance' prepared a fabulous dinner. It's the first time I haven't cooked a turkey for the holiday in over thirty years! She made the same dressing my grandmother taught to our father, and we picked up by watching him. Turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes (with her special addition of cream cheese!), roasted Brussels sprouts and dinner rolls - timed perfectly and perfectly delicious.

They asked me to say grace, so I voiced the words I speak before every dinner I've shared with my dear husband since we moved to the farm. They're words of gratitude for our food, family and each other.

My sister and fiance's story is so sweet. They dated for three years in high school - and were actually engaged - thirty some years ago. They broke up all those years ago, each eventually marrying other people and having their separate families. They hadn't so much as laid eyes on each other in all those years. They each were divorced and living single lives while raising their kids, and through his younger brother, reconnected about six months ago.

It was as though they'd lost no time at all. They realized how much they still loved each other, and that they weren't going to waste any more time apart. The rest shall be their "history". (May I add, I've always loved this guy, too. I told him a few days ago he reminds me of Rick on Pawn Stars, and he told me he hears that a lot.)

L-R: My nephew, me, Jan's fiance'

My nephew (same age as our grandson) was with his dad's family for dinner, but he got home before I left. I enjoyed the chance to visit with him (and get a photo). I'm always surprised how much he's grown since "the last time", and now he's now taller than I am.

Tag, Summer and Jan

Tag met a new friend, Summer, and they spent most of the day running around the fenced back yard. The weather was perfect for it, but like little kids - when they were outside, they wanted to come back in, and when the were inside, they wanted to go back out. Tag will share more pictures next week. It was pretty cute!

Donna and Jan

I know. Happy smiles and lots of teeth. There are thirteen years between us, but we always have fun together, and enjoy each others company. Among other things on Thanksgiving Day...I'm grateful for her.

DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely story of lasting love. Blessings indeed for Thanksgiving and beyond. Lovely family memories dear...xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna