June 24, 2017

Milkweed...

Hickory Hill Farm Milkweed Flowers

Thank you to everyone who read and commented on my post yesterday. I'll write individual replies to each of you who left comments for me. I admit I'm always apprehensive about writing my "soul-baring" thoughts, but each time (about four over the last eight years), you've been so gracious and kind in your replies.

I know there was a comment or two about going into a bit more depth about how I went through my "process", and I promise I'll revisit this before the end of the month to share a little more about how I arrived at this calmer and happier place in my head. Perhaps it might help someone else who is struggling on their own journey. Thank you again for leaving your notes for me. I'm very grateful.

Hickory Hill Farm Milkweed

When we purchased our farm last fall, I noticed the milkweed plants growing along the roadsides leading to our property. What I didn't see were the myriad plants growing right here on the hillside.

I'm able to see them from our kitchen window, and it's especially wonderful right now as the milkweed plants are blooming. If you've never smelled their blossom, the fragrance is heavenly. It's sweet and strong...a bit like lilacs.

Milkweed

In case you weren't aware of this one fact, monarch butterflies cannot survive without milkweed. Their caterpillars will only eat milkweed plants, and the butterflies require the plant to lay their eggs. Without the milkweed plant, monarch butterflies will disappear from the landscape. They're that critical to the ecosystem.

We have a few patches of milkweed plants in our grassy field to the south of the house, and more to the west, toward Andy and Shelly's woodlot above our home. As I took these photos today, there was a monarch flying from plant to plant, and then further up the hill. I'm going to be out in the field again tomorrow to try to catch one landing on a blossom. It's a truly incredible sight. I'll be doing my best to not only protect the plants we have, but to promote more of them growing here. I can't imagine a summer without the monarchs on our landscape.

We've been busy inside the house, too. I haven't forgotten that I teased you about the spice racks and cup rack in the pantry. I'll show those to you on Monday. I hope you enjoy your weekend. I'll be back tomorrow.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. My best friend does freelance writing for a shrub and flower company. She just wrote a piece about Milkweed. I must share this post with her! :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wealth of wonderful information. I do not know this Milkweed plant. We do have Monarch Butterflies and I love to hand water because that brings me lovely Monarch and Yellow Swallowtail Butterflies as well as gorgeous Red or Blue Dragonflies especially at the pond. We also have "Baby Huey" (named by hubby) Dragonfly who has a flight path over and around the upper driveway every afternoon. He is black and yellow and very large (as in helicopter size LOL) therefore his name "Baby Huey". EnJOY your flora and fauna Sweet Donna. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. The plant's flower looks very pretty and who could resist a scent like that?
    I also seem to remember a post about an announcement of some sort, maybe 2 weeks ago? Shortly after Handsome came home but before you started sewing? Did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna