June 19, 2016

This Might Just Work...

Brynwood Needleworks - Hexies

While I was away at retreat a few weeks ago, I did have a chance to work on my hexies. I pulled out the box with my fabrics, and threaded a needle to stitch on them.

Brynwood Needleworks - Hexies

The hexie on the left is how I've been sewing them. I've been using the same method with my fusible, washaway forms as I would if they were made from cardboard. I stitched through the fabric with a running stitch all the way around the hexie, through the form.

My pal, Jamie was apparently watching me, because she suggested that I only needed to anchor each fold, and not even stitch it to the form. Then, when I have them all stitched together, I'd only need to remove the thread from the back, if at all. I gave that a try, and then I had an idea.

Brynwood Needleworks - Hexies

If I ironed the fabric down around the form, I could have a more crisp hexie for stitching, so I took it to the ironing board and pressed away.

Brynwood Needleworks - Hexies
 
As I walked back to sit next to Jamie, something occurred to me. If I use a washable glue stick to hold the stray fabric down on the back, why would I even need to stitch anything? 
 
I could save myself a lot of work. I'd simply arrange them into a pattern, and then sew the hexies together. That would work, right? I'll let you know.
 
DonnaAcornSignature

3 comments:

  1. I pulled out my hexies yesterday and worked on them! Please do let us know how the glue method works. Though, I think that part of the attraction of working with hexies is the actual stitching (which, by the way, I do the second way you showed...with anchoring the folds). Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly why getting together with like-minded friends is so wonderful. Hexies have not lured me in...yet. I do enjoy projects made by sew many others. I think you have had an Aha moment dear. Embracing Hexie Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty~ I have been researching hexies for several weeks. (Still building courage) Watching Youtube videos, reading blog posts, Pinterest... because I think it is the perfect shape for my Quilting Bee collection. I am going to still go with the cardboard/light stencil material for the inside... so many ideas! Looking forward to your project!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna