June 16, 2016

Meet Lynn...

Brynwood Needleworks - Lynn's Showing Her Quilts

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of meeting a friend of a friend. Lynn Purple is one of my pal, Jamie's friends. They are frequently at the same retreats up north, and Lynn lives in Sarasota the rest of the year. 

It was fun to meet her. She showed up at our guild retreat to pick up some quilts that Jamie and her husband had brought back to Florida after a recent trip. Lynn's quilts were part of one of their retreat projects. I got to see them before she took them home with her. She shared them with me and then the three of us headed out for lunch.

This quilt reminds me of those little activity books for kidlets. You know, the ones where they can learn to tie a bow, use velcro, snap snaps, and stuff like that.

Brynwood Needleworks - Lynn's Quilts

This one is like that, but for adults. Sorry my photo isn't more clear, but you can see a hook and eye set sewn to it up on the right side of the quilt. It reminds me of the old, screen, back door we used to slam every time we ran out into the back yard when I was a kid.

Below that is a "curtain" made from strands of ball chains. There are nuts and washers and many other hardware pieces sewn to it. It's whimsical and fun, and gosh! I wish I'd thought of it!!!

Brynwood Needleworks - Lynn's Quilts

This was my favorite of her pieces...a quilt that featured a quilted wedding album. She chose to honor her female ancestors on the pages.

Brynwood Needleworks - Lynn's Quilts

She printed fabric pages with women who lived before her...photos taken on their wedding days. I love old pictures, and these are especially poignant...elegant ladies in their own wedding attire.

Brynwood Needleworks - Lynn's Quilts

Lynn said it was also an opportunity for her to practice her quilting skills. I'd say, she's got that process well in hand! The pages of the wedding album are velcro'd to the quilt, so they can be removed should it be necessary to clean the quilt. It's truly a gorgeous piece!

I took photos of all of her pieces, but these two were begging to be shared. Perhaps I'll show you more of them next week. I'm looking forward to getting to know Lynn better.


Congratulations to the winner of my Monday drawing!
Random Number chose #6...
Amy (Erlota Knits). Her blog is The Everyday Crumbs.
I know that the Amish Peanut Butter will be going to Wisconsin.
Email your address to me, please, Amy!
(dliljegren (at) brynwoodneedleworks (dot) com)

Thanks to everyone who left comments. 
I love giveaways. I'm sure I'll find a reason to have another one soon.


DonnaAcornSignature

1 comment:

  1. Donna you do get to meet the most amazing quilters and creative talents through your quilt retreats. Lynn's quilts are truly unique and beautiful. I could see her nuts and bolts quilt hanging on the wall of a special man's office. Ancestor photos and quilted pages added and removable from a quilt...would make an amazing 25 or 50 year anniversary gift. Thank you sew very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna