September 1, 2015

The Importance Of Consistency...

Brynwood Needleworks - Pineapple Table Runner
You know I've been working on blocks for a bed quilt using these pineapple blocks for some time. (I'm calling it "Birds In The Pineapples" because the white on white design has birds in it.)

In fact, I made the models for my class in these blocks, thinking that I'd have eight more blocks toward my quilt goal. There was only one thing I hadn't considered.

All the previous blocks were sewn on Miss Ellie or Destiny. I had checked the needle placement on both machines prior to making the blocks when I switched from one machine to another, and all the segments sized out just fine.
Brynwood Needleworks - Janome 6500P Sewing Machine
Miss Sophie (my little Babylock) recently moved to a new home. I never used her embroidery capabilities, so I wasn't using her to her full potential. One of my friends does a lot of machine embroidery and was interested in my Sophie.

She and I sat next to each other with our respective machines at our last guild sew-in and were talking machines. Coincidentally, she had been thinking about selling her Janome 6500. It's the machine I had - and sold - when I purchased my first Babylock, and I still missed that machine. After further conversation, we worked out a trade. It was a win/win for both of us.

I tell you this because I took my "new" Janome to class last Saturday in case I needed to use it for a demonstration. She sat there at the ready until my students made their second blocks. I added a few rounds to some of the partially-made blocks, but didn't work on them again until I got back home.
Brynwood Needleworks - Pineapple Table Runner
The result was that I got home, planning to finish all the block sections I had used for class models. Once finished, I could add them to the stack for the quilt. I finished those partial blocks on my Destiny the next day.

When I went to add them to the stack, the blocks sewn on my Janome/Destiny combo did not match the blocks sewn completely on the Babylocks. The white segments were larger by about a 1/2" than the same segment on the other blocks. Four of them, to be exact.

This is a timely reminder of the importance of consistency. I'll be remembering to double check for exact 1/4" sewing from one machine to another from now on. (Or just sew them completely on a single machine in the future.)

As a result, I took those four blocks and made another table runner! I finished piecing the top on Monday afternoon, so all I have left to do is quilt and bind it. When it's finished, I'll be listing it for sale in my Etsy shop. I'll add it later this week along with the blue/yellow one I previously made as a class model.
Brynwood Needleworks Class Project - Karen's Pineapple Table Runner
I received an email from one of my students, too. Karen already finished her class project and wanted me to see it. Isn't it pretty? She has already quilted and bound it. Bravo, Karen! I think you learned this lesson well.
DonnaAcornSignature
By the way - My Janome 6500P doesn't have a name yet. Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting post. I have two machines (I recently purchased a second machince) and bounce between the two on the same project, depending on the color thread I need in certain areas. My stitching is not precision as I am working crazy quilt now. I never would have thought there would be a difference in seam allowance between the two. Thanks so much for posting. It's an issue I will keep in mind in future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such important information for precision sewing. Thankfully I don't quilt...however I definitely want all of my sewing to be just right. Thank You Donna for sharing this. September Sewing Satisfaction...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna