February 8, 2015

Finished Tablet Case...

I completed this commission over the weekend. It's constructed completely from my client's late father's shirt. The additional embellishments were also given to me to incorporate into the design. So, after a week of careful planning, I was ready to begin on Saturday.
The first step was to carefully cut apart the shirt. I knew that I wanted to utilize the button placket, manufacturers info/size label, and at least one complete pocket and flap. The laces I was given were bright white with a few stains, so I used the Instant Antique spray to darken them and minimize the appearance of the stains.
Her dad carried a penny with the Masonic symbol stamped into it. I chose a framed vinyl window to protect and preserve it. I placed that on the inside of the case closure flap. The closed flap is then secured by velcro strips.
I placed the full pocket on the back side of the case. I pulled half the stitches out of the pocket so that I could securely sew the last piece of lace to the outside of it without stitching the pocket shut.
 
When I'd done that, I resewed the pocket to the fabric. I added more of the button band to the back of the flap., leaving the ends open so that a pen or stylus could be stored there.

There is batting between the exterior and interior fabric, and I added just a little extra behind the silver badge on the front side. I wanted to be absolutely sure that there would be nothing to mar or damage anything placed inside the case.

Well, it's all finished now and will go to it's new owner this week. It was an honor for me to make this piece...a piece of her father to carry close. I'm anxious to see her reaction, and I sure hope she likes it!
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. Great work! I love your attention to detail. ~ Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna it's absolutely wonderful,she will love it.X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Donna!! This turned out incredible!! And I love, love, love what you did with that special penny!! Just wonderful!! Your client is going to be VERY happy!! It made me happy just seeing pictures of it!! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a loving and thoughtful way to carry the love of her father close at hand. Very well done dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, It is absolutely gorgeous.
    You did well my friend!
    TerriSue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna