April 22, 2014

Progress Report - Full Disclosure...

 When last we met, I was preparing the old guest room for a coat
of paint. This is the way it looked after the holes were repaired. Yes.
There were actually two different colored paints on the walls in here. 

The dark color on the window wall was used to cover HUGE colored flowers
that graced the wall when we first bought our home. Lucky for the little girl
who lived here before us, but not so lucky for the grandparents who moved
in and had to cover them. (Of course, that would have been the two of us!)
 This is how the room looked after the first coat of paint. I used Behr 
"Waterfall Mist" (Code #W-D 510). It looks silvery blue, but is a little
more blue-ish in the middle part of the day. I purchased color/primer
all-in-one, hoping that it would cover completely with one coat.
 Same room, opposite wall.
 I really like this image with the "artsy" ladder shadow play. It's not the
 shadow of the step stool you can see. Rather, the larger one out of frame.
 Tag kinda let the "cat" out of the bag about how chaotic the house
is these days. I can't believe ALL this stuff was in the studio...
 and that it's camping out all over the house now. This is the reason I'm
working so hard to get this project accomplished ASAP. What a mess!
 This is actually our second guest room. The futon Tag was complaining about is
under all that fabric and supplies. (See arrow?) Definitely no naps here these days!
 This is the other side of the same room. Oh, dear. I have so much to do!
 Handsome has been so patient. He just walks through the house,
shakes his head back and forth, says, "Donna Carole" and sighs.
I do believe he's a saint and I'm not ashamed to tell the world so.
 Turns out the room did need a second coat of paint, so I did that yesterday
 morning while Handsome drove to Sandy's Quilt Shop to pick up the five
  shelf units that started all this remodeling. You might notice that I've
 reinstalled the cleaned window blinds on the likewise, newly clean window.

I left the curtain rod in place so that I could hang all my beautiful acorn
ornaments on it. Many of these were gifts from blog friends, so they are
important to me. I'll show you more pictures of them after the room is finished.
 The second coat of paint dried by mid-day, so Handsome and I pulled out the
carpeting, padding and those pesky tack rails. (Those were a bear to remove!)

I managed to install five rows of the vinyl plank flooring before I had to quit for
 the day. (My knees were starting to protest, so I decided to listen.) I also found
 that this floor height doesn't match up to the height of the tile in the adjacent
 room and hallway, so I have to go choose a transition piece before I can proceed.
 I need to find out how that transition piece has to be installed before I do more.
 I'd like to crow about this flooring a bit, too. I'm really happy with the way
 it looks. There will be no apparent seams when it's all down, so I won't
have to worry about losing dropped pins or needles in any flooring cracks. 
That's critical for any craft studio. It's going to help keep my space clean, too.
The planks are so pliable, they bend when you take them out of the package.
Each piece is cut to size with a utility knife and the floor snaps together at joints.
There's no adhesive either, so it's easier to install than rolled flooring.
Finally, I think it looks pretty darn realistic, with a slight sheen. It will
be easy to clean and last a long, long time. The plan is to get the rest of
it installed today so I can start putting my new studio together - and then
 reclaim the rest of our home by the weekend. What's today? Oh, yeah. 
"Julie, Julie, Julie!"
Should be downhill from here, right?
DonnaAcornSignature

6 comments:

  1. The room really does look great. What a super re-do you have done. The paint color is so calming and relaxing. 'Love that wood flooring as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing amount of stash. I know we're always amazed at how much we can cram into our creative spaces but does Handsome believe how much was in there? He really must be an angel.

    I'm loving the look of your new studio so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The room is looking good. The flooring is something rather special and will e just perfect for your workroom. Good luck with getting it all finished. Just look after those knees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Donna!! It is looking soooooo good - I wish I was as diligent with my studio remodel as you and Handsome!! But 'tis not the case!! One day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giving the walls a second coat really shows the soft color beautifully. Excellent floor choice for no ridges or grooves to collect those pins and needles and beads. I am having fun with your new word "blivet" as it is so me! Take care of our knees dear...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, even with your sewing supplies in piles all about the house...your house still looks beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna