January 20, 2013

I'm Her Hero...

 There are many things that I do that are visible to all of you on my blog.
Many things I share with you are the work of my own hands, and I always
 appreciate when you leave comments for me to give me your feedback. 

Then there are the things that take place in my home life...things you 
don't know or see unless I tell you about them. With the exception of
"pre-cleaning" my studio before I take pictures, you can rest assured that
you still see pretty much the essence of who I am, or who I've become.

As you can read on my blog, my favorite quote is
"The way to use life is to do something that outlasts it."

All my life, I've endeavored to do just that. The examples I've set for family; 
my interests and pursuits; the organizations to which I've belonged and in which
 I've held responsible positions; the jobs I've held; being a good and faithful friend;
 caring for my husband and our home, treating our pets with love and kindness;
and the influence I've had on the children in Handsome's and my family...
All these things mean a great deal to me. 

Sometimes I'm surprised to find that I've made a mark when I didn't even expect to.
 "Dear Grandma Donna,
I heard you have donated blood. I think
you are a good citezen (sic) & an American
hero! P.S. tell Tag we miss him & Grandpa, too.
Love, R"

This came from Granddaughter #1 a year ago when she learned that I had
donated blood. I have O negative blood - coveted by blood banks because
they're able to use it for anyone. It's called the Universal Blood Type for
that reason. I have donated even when we've traveled and the need arose...
a terrible, multiple car accident in Wisconsin one fall, and when Handsome 
was hospitalized in Massachusetts for four weeks. That donation was used
to help up to 14 premature babies at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
I was speechless when our granddaughter sent a letter to me having learned about it.
(Don't you love that she even drew an American flag...
and that Tag was mentioned before Grandpa? hee hee)

It's important to be careful what you say and do in front of children.
They never miss a thing and they learn, even when you don't realize that you're
 teaching. In this day and age, I think they need our good examples more than ever.
DonnaAcornSignature

8 comments:

  1. Others are always watching and this post reminds me...be careful little eyes what you see, be careful little hands what you do...remember that little song from Sunday School? Good for you...donating blood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are the good in this world and bless you for donating blood. YOU are the type of hero we need more of. How easy it is for the younger generations to be influenced and thankfully you are there to show the good and proper way of living. What a very sweet letter from your granddaughter. Wonderful Week Dear...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Donna, I've followed your blog for a while and must tell you that I really appreciate it. Today's post exceeded them all, what an inspiration. Thank you so much. Kind Regards Mandy Currie (mandycurrie@googlemail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another thing you and I have in common.. I cannot donate blood even thou I to have O- type... I was in Germany in the 80's with the military so I am banned from donating due to mad cow disease...I only know cause I keep trying to donate.. I was rushed to the head of the line when the plan crash In Sioux City, IA happened.. I stood outside the factory I was working in and watched that plain go down..July 19, 1989.. It was my first time to donate blood... and would be my last since they passed this law.. You are a good citizen Miss Donna..but then I already knew that... your granddaughter is a precious gift to you.. great post...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and my DH are very special people with O-neg. He gave pints and pints of blood for years until he had a heart attack and is no longer allowed to. You certainly are a hero(ine) a great example to the young'uns. I am ashamed to say that I don't care for needles so have never been able to bring myself to donate to the worthy cause. I don't have O-neg blood so that eases my conscience just a little. Keep up the good work, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on you!! lovely message from your granddaughter and it is so true about what children pick up from all us big people. What a hero you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful note from your granddaughter - I know you will keep it and treasure it. I was going through some files yesterday (trying to organize - ha!) and came upon some notes my daughter had given me when she was younger. She and her best friend had written it together. It went something like this - "We will be your maid today, so that all you have to do is sew and nap. We'll bring you a little bell and if you need anything, just ring it and we'll do it. We love you!"

    :) Sew and nap - what's better than that?

    And good for you Donna, giving blood. I never have, it's terribly hard for them to get blood from me for medical tests, so I never ventured there. But I'm proud of you for doing it :) Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna, this is just the sweetest. You are a hero...a sweet heart!
    Your grandkids will learn from your example and be influenced by your act of giving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna