December 26, 2012

By Special Request - Recipe...

 After telling you about our Christmas menu, a few of you asked me to share
the recipe for our holiday dessert - Raspberry Walnut Bread. I'd love to!

This recipe originally came to me from an old girlfriend of my father's.
She made this for me as a Christmas gift in the 1990s and when I asked
for the recipe, she was happy to share it. I'm sure she wouldn't mind
 if I share it with you now. Thank you, Elsie!! It's still a Liljegren favorite.

Raspberry Walnut Bread
D.Liljegren, Brynwood Needleworks via Elsie Weir
350º oven for 1 hour (approx.)
Yield: Two loaves
 
Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. sugar
2/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. vanilla
2 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 c. chopped walnuts (or pecans, if preferred)
1 1/2 c. (1 bag) frozen whole raspberries, thawed on
paper towel to absorb excess moisture

Sugar topping:
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 T. melted butter
Mix together to form a granular topping. See
below for instructions on adding topping.

Combine sugar, oil, egg, milk and vanilla. Beat well. Add dry ingredients,
mixing until well blended. Fold in nuts and raspberries. Pour into 2 greased
and wax paper lined (bottom of pan only) loaf pans. (9" x 4" or 8" x 4").
Bake at 350º for approximately one hour.

About twenty minutes into the baking time, sprinkle with sugar topping.
Continue baking for balance of time until a toothpick tests clean.

When you take the loaves out of the oven, let them cool 20-30 minutes in
the pan before trying to extract them. I usually run a knife around the pan
 prior to tipping it over. Peel the wax paper off the bottom of each loaf 
and then allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.

Elsie's note to me said, "This recipe can also be baked in a 9" x 13" 
cake pan. Grease and lightly flour the bottom of the pan. Cut into 
squares and serve topped with whipped cream or ice cream."

At our home, I serve this dessert sliced and topped with real 
whipped cream. (Because life's too short for the fake stuff!)
It's great served warm or cold.

 That's it. It's easy and tastes delicious.
If you decide to try it, I'd love to know what you think.

Now that we've enjoyed all the good food during the holidays, it's
time for me to move my attention to finishing a few projects in the studio.
More on that tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I made your cranberry cake with that dreamy creamy sauce and it was delicious! Beautiful day dear...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! whoever requested this .. good job.. this looks so yummy I hope to try it for new years...

    thanks for sharing this Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks absolutely wonderful. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment today. I'm using new settings on my comments so that I'll be able to respond to your messages to me. Be sure to come back to see my replies!

Blessings, Donna